Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Germ Adventure, Part 10000000

I woke up yesterday feeling just fine. I went about my morning routine and chores and then Kaylen and I headed out to MOMS Club. We were there for about an hour and a half and I swear to you - I felt completely fine.

After we left there I stopped at the post office and then we headed over to the high school where Kaylen attends her preschool class. We were there about 20 minutes early so I returned a call to Dakota and we caught each other up on our mornings.

It was then I noticed it. A not so good feeling in my throat. A bit sore but not too bad. I shrugged it off and walked Kaylen into her class. I drove over to the bookstore to pick up the next book in the Jake Drake series for Kelton and as I searched the shelves I made a note that my throat was getting worse. Hmmmmmmm.

I bought the book and then headed over to Target to pick up mittens and hats for Kelton's Warm Hands Warm Hearts drive at school and a 6' folding banquet table for the PTO (great sale! $32!). I had needed two but they only had one. Oh well. Then I picked up a pair of stretch pants and a shirt for Kaylen. Yes - you read that right. PANTS! She is trying something new this week and I am all about encouraging it. The thing is - we don't really have pants that fit her since I stopped updating that part of her wardrobe when she decided she was anti-pants.

My throat, by the way, was getting more and more sore. By the time I arrived home, 1 hour after dropping off Kaylen, I felt like I was trying to swallow cut glass.

The thing about pain like that is it forces you to stop thinking of other things and makes you live right there. Right in that painful moment. No worries about laundry needing to be folded, no thinking of unloading the dishwasher, no worrying about bills or student loan payments. Nothing besides "How do I make this pain stop? Why is it shooting up into my ears? Oh crap! MAKE IT STOP!"

Have I mentioned before how sore throats are probably the worst thing for me to deal with and considering how much pain I get to live with every single day of my life, that's saying a lot. I'm not sure why or where it comes from my sore throats are really, really awful for me.

The achy-nes in my neck and shoulders arrived before I headed over to pick Kaylen up at school. Perfect. I do not have time for this. No fever though so it's just one of those pesky viruses that need to run its course.

I continued on with the afternoon (like I had a choice) and before long, Kelton was home and it was homework time. Then Dakota arrived home and we got busy making dinner, cleaning up and getting Kelton to karate. Home we came and to bed went to the kids. I popped the Motrin and was soon in bed.

The night was hit and miss on sleeping and when I got up this morning I noticed that the cut glass sensation was gone and I just have a sore throat (so much better than yesterday!). My neck and shoulders are still achy and I don't feel great but at least I can function.

My guess is Kelton's doctor was right. He picked up something and passed it along because Friday Kaylen was saying she had a sore throat (but Tylenol seemed to make her all better and I'm never sure if she really has pain or if she just wants some medicine. Don't ask. We are constantly asking "Are you *sure* you need medicine?"). Now though, I do believe she actually did have a sore throat and I feel bad for not putting much stock in that. *sigh* Now she has a cough and sounds a bit congested (again) so I'm betting that's the road this will take for me too.

I'm beginning to think our house is a toxic zone and we just can't get rid of the germs. I've even opened up the doors and windows in an attempt to get the fresh air in and the germ infested air out.

I've heard from others that this is a bad germ year. I have to say - I'm not so much enjoying it. :(

2 comments:

Stacey said...

hope everyone is feeling better soon and no more germs invade your household.

Kristen said...

Audrey and I have had back to back colds too. Not as bad as what has happened at your house, but not fun either.