Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Little Girl's Wish



See this stroller? Cute, right? It's Kaylen's Santa Wish this year and there is no amount of swaying and gentle guiding that is working. It's from American Girl and it's $58 plus shipping.

$58 plus shipping for a doll stroller? You have got to be kidding. We've asked "What if Santa can't make one exactly like this one? What if he can make you a different kind - maybe pink?" (A pink double stroller can be had at Toys R Us for $25) No dice. It has to be *this* one. Exactly. No color variation and it *must* have that heart shaped flower on the front.

I've tried the "What if Santa just can't do that for you?" and I get back "I can't ask you and Mom because it's too much money. I can only ask Santa and Santa would never break a little girl's heart. Right Mommy?"

Damn you American Girl catalog for arriving in our mailbox. (Lannon - did you sign us up for this catalog? Maybe AG has a homing device for all little girls. I don't know.)

So now we are struggling. If we can't change her mind in the next week we'll have to decide what to do because it is going to need to be ordered and then shipped somewhere *other* than our house (two issues with mail order this year: Kelton is a VERY good reader and Kaylen quickly learns how to identify words she has seen and trust me - she has studied "American Girl" and can point it out from 20 paces.). Their grandma's address should work fine but it still leaves us with the dilemma of $58 plus shipping for a Santa gift. Ugh.

AND...she wants a boy "American Girl" doll. Though really, she isn't particular about the actually AG look - my sister found dolls at a craft store which resemble AG dolls and there is the Our Generation Doll line at Target. But finding a boy doll to play the part might be tricky.

Wish us luck!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

bwhhhhaaaaahaaahaaaa.........
Let me put my brain to this one. Take a look at the one on toys r us and see how the fabric is attached. A person could (maybe) duplicate the fabric and attach it to the cheaper (I mean more affordable) model......

Anonymous said...

Or on the American Girl website the whole collection is on sale! Boy doll, girl doll, clothes and the stroller-all for $175! Just kidding! Mikayla is in love with American Girl too so we look there often! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Santa doesn't have to explain himself to anyone. If Santa really has elves making his toys, then how come he's shopping at AG? And he certainly isn't making the AG stroller, because he's fully aware of trademark infringement.
Could you try bribing her with less toys overall? Something like, "That's such a nice present for Santa to bring that mom and I won't have to get you as many presents." ?

Perrin said...

Oh no...I have never showed Corinne AG and have so far lived free of the overpriced dolls. My kids have learned the trick of when I say something is too expensive then they say they will just ask Santa. I have now explained that Santa's rules are: 1. no pets, 2. parents must approve of toy, 3. Should be under $50. Even Santa is in our recession.

I am attempting a tv commercial blackout but one slipped by me...which is a Barbie nail decal printer. A barbie product can't be that expensive, right? Oh no...$150. I am praying she forgets.

Casey said...

Perrin: Kaylen has seen that commerical too and she has put it on her wish list. I told her it wasn't going to happen but boy does she love it. She can even tell you almost word for word what the commercial says. Scary!

Lannon: The kids know that Santa gets stuff from places sometimes. How else do you explain all the paperwork and whatnot that comes with stuff? :)

Sally said...

Casey, as money got tight, I told the kids that while Santa does bring toys, he also sends the bills to us because he could not buy toys for the whole world-they bought it, and so I could have a discussion about price of things. I heard my daughter use it on my grandson one year! The other side is that now I spend like a drunken sailor in port on my grandson-never had that for my kids.

Caroline said...

Gee, you can get a real stroller for about that price. I was curious about all the stuff that they had for American Girl, so I went to their site. I was amazed at all the "stuff" they have. When I was little I used an Avon box as a car seat for my dolls.

Anonymous said...

sorry, I was the first anonymous.... But I do think you could springboard off of a few ideas. Modify the toys-r-us one so it looks different but similar and then talk about how when santa makes toys sometimes they run out of x y or z and have to substitute a different color or style. As for the boy doll, you might be screwed.....
-L

Mimi said...

Oh Casey I hate to tell you but I bought that same stroller for the granddaughter....plus the twin american girls and a few other things from american girl......THANK GOD my husband doesn't do the check book he would DIE....lol....oh well hope you are able to get that for them.....good luck

Anonymous said...

Bless you Mimi. I never tell the husband what I spend on crap for the grandkids!
-L

Casey said...

Or a niece and nephew. :)

Anonymous said...

No, I have to fess up for those two. :)

Kristen said...

Is that model/style new this year? Maybe just maybe you can find a used one? Ebay? Maybe AG wants to send you one to write a review on?!

Casey said...

Kristen: It's this years model. Last years models can be found on eBay (but at similar prices) but the fabric is completely different...and I will say...to me it is much uglier. :) Take a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Ret-Bitty-Twins-Stroller-Think-Holidays-Free-Ship_W0QQitemZ200404665412QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea90c8444

Tanya said...

Wow, she's got some steep demands. And how in the world does she know "it's too much". I actually do tell J this all the time, just funny to hear them actually say it. And $58 for a stroller? Heck we got my niece a single one from Build a Bear that I thought would be pricey and it was only $12.

Oh and I totally want that Barbie nail thing! I saw that commercial and it made me want a girl, just so we could play with it together. And I am so not girly.

Since I plan on getting J a Leapster for Bday/xmas all other items will be smaller. I am also trying to hold off till then on some Sketchers shoes he wants, that I bought a month ago at a great sale. But, his current shoes are falling apart fx that we can make it 4 more weeks till birthday.