Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Wednesday

The past couple of days I've been keeping busy doing odds and ends of stuff. Monday I spent the entire day prepping and painting my bedroom. It used to have one dark brown wall and three yellow-white walls that I think were the original paint to the room back in the 70's. I've wanted the room painted for years (ever since we moved in) but we had never gotten around to it except for the brown wall that Dakota painted for me a few weeks before she started law school.

Gone is all that. Now it is a peaceful blue-gray color. It's a strange change for me even though I really need it (and the kids like it). I just couldn't continue living in a room that was exactly the same when nothing else is. It's shocking to walk in there though - as much as I like it, it also makes me feel sad. Do you think there is any truth behind the Blue Advantage thought that blue helps a person feel less anxiety and more peaceful? We'll see.

Also on Monday I noticed that the coat rack we have on a wall had pulled free. One of the molly bolts pulled right out of the wall - I'm guessing because of the weight of the winter coats, backpacks and whatnot. So yesterday Kaylen and I went to Home Depot and bought higher weight rated molly bolts and a couple of door stoppers. I rehung the coat rack and then installed the new door stoppers. We had removed several of them when Kelton was a baby since they came off so easily and he would put them in his mouth. Since we're past that age with the kids, I figured it was time to put some back in place to keep the doors from marking the walls.

Other than that - I'm just going through the motions and trying to keep life as normal as possible for the kids. Kelton asked me to set up a meeting with his school counselor so he could talk about things he doesn't feel he can talk about with either Dakota or me. It sounds like it was a good talk and he will meet with her again next week at his request. It's nice that everyone at the school is helping me keep an eye on him.

Kaylen refused to finish out her last week in the preschool program. After talking with Dakota, we decided that missing this last week would be better than forcing her to go and creating even more anxiety for her. I thought for sure she would go with me staying in the room the whole time but she was having none of it.

It's an interesting place - this new journey we are on.

7 comments:

Shawna said...

I'm so impressed with you fixing stuff! You should be proud of yourself. Just one day at a time, or one minute, one second. You are making it through.

Tanya said...

It's god to see that Kelton has support in place and someone he feels safe to talk to. I never had that growing up.

I hope once you get use to the walls that they give you calmness.

Thinking of you always.

Jen said...

My boys are flipping out over preschool right now too. Kaylen is younger than they are and I bet she will do great when school starts up again, especially since you guys gave her the distance she needed and let her skip this last bit.

I'm proud of Kelton for knowing when to ask for help, and of you guys for being comfortable letting go and letting someone else help him out.

And, I think you're a bad*ss for knowing what a molly bolt is and knowing how to fix it! I'm seriously impressed. Have you seen those Home Depot workshops geared toward women who want to fix up their homes? I kind of want to go to some of them and learn a little something. Have you ever taken the kids to those Lowe's or Home Depot kid workshops?

I'm proud of you for keeping on keeping on.

Casey said...

Jen -
That's me. A bad*ss. :) Seriously though, I had to learn so very much when Dakota went to school because I was the only one who was around to do stuff. I even cut a new seat for a dining chair, recovered it and reattached it once when it broke after a child jumped on the seat of the chair.

I am woman hear me roar....and all that.

Non-Offending Parent said...

Casey,

You are amazing!

So glad that the kids are so in tune with what they need. Glad you have the counselor as a resource for Kelton.

Hugs,
Jennifer

Gandksmom said...

YES! I love that you redid your room. You need a sanctuary!

Mary-Pat said...

Way to go painting your room! Now get new, cozy sheets, too (flannel or high quality 100% cotton!), and a bedspread to match the walls. It will make a world of difference! Way to hang in there, and keep moving forward.