Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Day in the Life

I know. I haven't blogged today. It's just been one of those crazy kind of days. First off - I actually slept until 5:30 which, right there, took a whole hour of my time.

Then it was getting the kids taken care of and off to school. And then....one of the bulbs in the ceiling fan blew and as it did, it popped itself off the base. Lovely. I had to shut down the electricity and use pliers to remove the base. All this when it was still dark outside so I had the kids holding flashlights for me. It did dawn on me that if I had waited 20 more minutes, the daylight would have been enough to see by but hey - it's done and it all worked out fine.

I noticed somewhere along the line that, as in recent days, my computer connection was painfully slow and refusing to load at times. Hmmmm......

I made a phone call and learned that the person on the other end couldn't understand what I was saying even though I could hear them perfectly.

DING! Comcast problem since both the phone and the internet are hooked in through them. I called Comcast on the house phone and yep - they figured out there was a problem. Something about our house should be reporting at a 30 and was only reporting a 20. Awesome.

Someone would be here between 10 and 12.

The guy came and did all his inside the house checking and things were fine. Outside he went and lo and behold, the problem was the line from the street to the house. He put in a new line and presto! Up and running.

In between all this, the school nurse called. Kelton was running a 99.8 fever and complaining of not feeling well. It was my call since they don't usually send home unless it is 100 degrees. Feeling horrible I explained I was waiting for the Comcast guy. They were great and after talking with Kelton back to class he went. I, however, was left with mommy guilt.

As soon as Comcast Dude was gone Kaylen and I went to the school. I went to his classroom and he looked ok to me. A bit warm but certainly none of the tell tale signs of him being sick (blazing red cheeks, his birthmark being noticeable, etc). I told him I thought he could stay at school which he was not thrilled about but the VP who was subbing in the class agreed with me.

I picked up all the PTO stuff and a letter of recommendation from the principal and Kaylen and I headed home.

Once home, she and I went on a bike ride/walk around the neighborhood. Then, as I went to look for something in Kelton's closet, his closet door popped off. Crud! An easy enough fix but really? Enough is enough.

And now I am going to run over to a neighborhood park and meet a friend for a little bit. It's been quite the day. Not as all like I envisioned but still - not all that bad either. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that was frustrating but it reads like something from a sitcom. :) Good for you for handling it all. Hope the park was fun and that tomorrow is less eventful.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

hackwife said...

Hi! Glad to hear it ... not so bad after all, huh? :)

Melanie

ComcastCares1 said...

I am glad to know we were able to get the problem fixed. Let us know if we could be of any assistance in the future! :)

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Casey said...

Ok serisouly? How cool that a comcast guy commented. :) Thank you! I'm not sure how you found your way here (my guess is a Google search?) but way cool that you did. And yes, the service was great and I really appreciate how promptly it all happened.
Thanks!