Friday, January 15, 2010

No Longer a "Just"

This morning in the shower (I know, TMI - get over it) I was hit with a revelation: I no longer see myself as "just". You know, "just a mom", "just Casey", "just a stay at home parent", "just not good enough", "some who is just waiting for someone to notice me", "just the partner of a law student" (this is in no way a slam to Dakota. I did this to myself - I allowed my thinking to get that warped. I allowed myself to become "less than". It wasn't intentional - but, over time, it did happen.).

I'm not sure when or how this new change in how I see myself happened because I realized I was a bit shocked to make this discovery. I've been so very used to seeing myself as a "just".

Now, when I think about myself, or see my reflection in the mirror, I see Casey. I AM a mom (and a damn good one), I AM good enough. I AM strong enough. I no longer am putting myself behind everyone else. I am finally feeling comfortable in my own skin (which I guess makes me think of skin id reviews to find out who I have been...but I digress).

I have set boundaries with the kids, and with others, so that I can take care of me. I ask for help/support when I need it and slowly but surely, I am becoming myself again.

I am no longer a "just". I AM.

12 comments:

Ree said...

You Go Girl!!! You ARE A GREAT PERSON!!! And we ♥♥♥♥♥ you!!!!

Tracey said...

Casey I am PROUD of you! You are worthy of so much more than "just" anything. You are an amazing person and I am JUST so happy to see you realize that.

Mimi said...

AMEN sista!!!! I am right there with you....it happens.....for many years I was known as Amy's mom or Adam's mom it just happens....now I'm Sophie's grandma....lol....and I'm ok with it.....I have a husband who is wonderful and he know's where he stands in the food chain.....lol...it's just Life Casey hang in there you will be ok....this will make you stronger than you ever thought you could be....XXXooooX

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm glad that you are starting to see yourself as others see you. :)
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

It's good to wake up to the truth! I am happy for your new journey of rediscovering yourself. It's such a good thing. Just think about how different your future will be with this new strength!

Heidi

Lynilu said...

Good for you!!!

Tanya said...

I am so glad the you finally realized this.

Anonymous said...

That kind of "just" thinking can happen (and does) to anyone. When I used to go out to restaurants by myself, I used to say, "Just One" to the waitress/hostess until I read/heard someone talking about that phenomenon. This person said to say, "One Please" and drop the "just" because you are enough. Once that was pointed out to me, I made an effort to drop the "just." I have some other "justs" that have recently cropped up in my own life, and your post is inspiring me to drop those too. Good for you! This is a great change to see.

Jen said...

That is great! What an amazing post, because I think many of us fall into that kind of thinking without even realizing it. Good for you!

sally said...

Casey, I remember your post about purchasing "real" crocs. I was so proud of you, and knew exactly how you felt. May those shoes provide you with many "first steps".

yankeegirl said...

It is so easy to let this happen when you are devoting so much time to your little ones. It happened to me, too. Congrats on finding yourself again :)

momtothreeboys said...

:-)