Saturday, April 25, 2009

Volunteer Appreciation Event

Not only was it Take Your Child to Work Day it was also the volunteer appreciation event at school so while the kids were off getting to feel special, so was I. :)

It arrived at the school earlier than the event because I needed to create a new display case for the front office. So I took it from this (which I put together a couple weeks ago for Turn Off Your TV Week):

To this (which highlights our upcoming skate night and Mother's Day Gift Shop):


After I finished the case, it was time for the volunteer appreciation event. We all went down to the library (there were several other parents/high school students who volunteer for tutoring, helping in the classrooms, etc. and of course the core PTO group. All told, I'd say there was 25 of us plus the teaching and admin. staff.) to find a huge spread of delicious treats. The room was decorated in posters created by classrooms. Kelton's room added my name to their poster and that was a lot of fun to see. The little stinker kept it a secret but after we all arrived home that night he excitedly asked if I had seen the poster. Sweet! :)



The best part was when all the school staff gathered together and sang us a song. So fun! :)


Then it was time for the awards. A few people were singled out for their above and beyond service to the school and I have to say, it was really nice to hear the principal singing my praises. :) She saved me for last and I have to say - it was a highlight for me. I have been working myself silly with things and it was just really nice to hear how much it has been appreciated. I loved her line about "and we don't want her to get burned out so please,everyone, do what you can to help her so we can keep her. She is invaluable to us!" Talk about a much needed ego stroke. :)

I went home with my Oscar statue, flowers and candy. What more could a girl want? :)


PS..keep reading. I posted a couple more below this one. :)

5 comments:

A Jersey Girl said...

We had ours volunteer breakfast yesterday and it was great. It is nice to hear people say "thank you".


Emily

Stella said...

Congratulations! You've earned every accolade. I hope you don't burn out, and I do hope you see what a huge contribution you're making to the school.

Unknown said...

You definately deserve the recognition! I love the Oscar award, thats cool! Jeri

Dakota said...

Yeah, you! You deserve this and so much more!

Froggymama said...

You are such a great mom!