Monday, April 20, 2009

A Perfect Day

Today was seriously one of the best days EVER. It would have been even more so if Dakota had been with us, of course, but just the same - the day rocked.

The day dawned bright and beautiful. The weather reports had been predicting a very nice 83 degree day - a taste of summer to be sure! We got up this morning and began our usual Monday morning routine but then after I had given the kids their breakfast, Kaylen said "I don't want to go to gymnastics today. I just want to stay home." To which Kelton added "Mom I would really, really like to stay home today. It's a beautiful day and I want to play with Kaylen and just be here with you. It's like summer outside and I just want to stay home."

I know what you are probably thinking but be honest - there are days when you just want to play hooky too, right? I really can't blame him. Plus I *could* justify it because he has a cough and a bit of a cold. Though truth be told, if it had been a rainy day or if he hadn't asked to stay home I would have sent him on his merry way so he wasn't all *that* sick. :)

I called Dakota and we talked about his wishes and, in the end, I let him stay home. And I am SO glad I did! I don't regret it for one single second which is going to make it really tempting to do it again sometime. :)

By 8:30 the kids were both in the backyard having a grand time! I stayed in and took care of chores and bill paying and then I, too, headed outside.

I set up the water table we gave Kaylen for her birthday and they had a good time playing with it. I can tell that this year Kelton is really too old for it as it didn't hold his attention for long but Kaylen loved it. I knew she would though - Kelton loved his when he was 4 too.

The day flew by! Kelton would play his DS game here and there, he read, they played in the tree house, played in the sandbox, blew bubbles and drew with chalk...we stayed outside all day. And the weather people were right with their predictions - and then some. It was 85 degrees in the yard this afternoon. It felt just like a summer day and it makes me so anxious for school to be done so I can have my kids all to myself for a while.

I just LOVE having them both here and I just loved being outside all day. Seriously. A perfect day. P.E.R.F.E.C.T.

I was so sad to see the day end. I thought about keeping them up until they asked to go to bed but thought better of it. Tomorrow it's back to the real world for all of us. Oh but what a day! As Kelton was drifting off to sleep he said "Thanks for letting me stay home today. I had a really good day with you." Me, too, buddy boy. Me, too!











(Just for fun - a shot of all the things sitting on the patio table this afternoon. Look at that! I actually read a magazine! WooHooo!)


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it nice, in our busy, busy lives, that these sorts of days can still happen? We just have to know when to drop it all and just *be*. Way to go. Great pics!

Daria Schaffnit said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Glad you let the kiddos play hooky!

Caroline said...

I love that you guys played a day of hooky. We all need days like that; including kids.

One Boys Mom said...

Great choice!! I am a bit jealous though ;)

Shannon said...

You're the coolest mom ever.

Stacey said...

sounds like a great day!

Kristen said...

That's great, and the beauty of these days is that they are rare, so if he asks again next monday, try to push it off at least one more week lol ;)

When is the day you get to say YOU don't want to go to work?