Monday, April 06, 2009

Just Another Manic Monday

I have all these great ideas for postings floating through my head all day long but when evening finally arrives and the children are blissfully asleep I find my brain can no longer retrieve what I have "stored away for later". I'm just too tired to think some times. Tonight is yet another one of those times. Several times today while doing this, that and the other thing I would come across something, or be reminded of something, and think "YES! I need to blog about this." But do I write it down on a paper or heck - even my hand? No. No I do not. Therefore it is lost forever...or at least until the next time it enters my thoughts for another nano-second.

Before kids I actually used to have a fully functioning brain. Not to say it isn't fully functioning now, mind you. It just functions completely differently.

Did you know that Mommy Brain is actually a very real phenomenon? It has scientifically been proven - and it is not the bad thing as it is so used to being defined as. It's actually a very important biophysical reaction to having a child which makes the child(ren) top priority to assure their survival.

So - the next time you are tempted to say "Sorry. Mommy brain." stop. Don't apologize for it. Your brain is putting your child first and that is exactly the way nature intended it to be.

I'll step off my soapbox now and drone on about something else. :)

My day. It was an active one, that's for sure. Spring break is over and Kelton headed back to school much against all of our desires. I am happy to report that over the past week I have fed the boy child enough that I was successful in adding some weight to him - at least based on our home scale on which I weigh him weekly. The doctor scale test is Wednesday and I'm hoping like crazy it will show a similar result because if it does then I am absolutely confident that it is a simple matter of him not getting enough calories in any given day. I let him lead the way with eating and he ate and ate and ate. Every couple of hours I would hear "Mom - I'm hungry!" And eat he would.

Yet another reason I have to not enjoy the whole school experience. Like I needed another reason. I'm just not a mom who opens the door on Monday morning and happily pushes her child out the door. I push him...but it isn't because I want to. I miss the little guy when he is gone and I especially miss having him eat enough to keep us out of the doctors office.

Anyway....I saw Kelton off to school this morning and then got to work paying bills and completing paperwork for Kelton to attend camp this summer. It seems I was hardly through with all that when it was time to grab the gym bag and the daughter to rush off to gymnastics. From there we went directly to Chuck E. Cheese to attend a birthday party. How can you not have fun at Chuck E. Cheese, right? I actually have a great time there. Kaylen and I played Skee Ball together several times and we even had a sketch of ourselves done. Plus it was fun to see some grown-up friends I don't see enough of.

We headed home about 2:30 so I could get some work done before the bus arrived. Then it was some more work and then time to make dinner. It was a beautiful day so Kaylen and I ate dinner outside while Kelton opted to stay in and watch a TV show. (Yeah yeah - but it worked for us.)

After dinner and clean up, Kaylen and I watered all the new plants. I just adore her gardening skills and am convinced that her talking and singing to her plants really do make them grow. :)

We finally convinced Kelton to come out and play for a while and then it was shower time for the kids. For bedtime they wanted to read in their beds for 10 minutes before I read them their stories. It was so cute to sneak in and see them. To be fair, Kaylen was "reading" and Kelton was playing his Game Boy but it was still cute none the less.

It wasn't much longer and they were both sound asleep. It's been a good day here and tomorrow promises more of the same. The weather will still be nice and Kaylen and I will be out birthday shopping for the birthday boy. His actual birthday is Tuesday but his party will be Sunday which I actually find amusing. The day of his party will mark the anniversary of going into labor with him. And yes, I know.....it's two days before his actual birthday. Let me leave you with this nugget.....his due date was April 4th. Yes, that means he was 10 days late. And he had to be induced *and* he ended up being a c-section. Talk about a birth story! :)

I'm really excited about the gift we got him and the one that Kaylen will be getting him. I'll have to tell you about them sometime. You know....if I can remember. :)

Here are a couple pictures from tonight:




4 comments:

Audra said...

Sounds like a busy but fun day! I need to hang with Kaylen more and have her green thumb skills rub off on me!

Monogram Queen said...

I have a ton of pictures I need to download off of my camera.
Love the gardening girl!

Tanya said...

I love Chuck E. Cheese, prefer Peter Piper Pizza just because of the noise factor, but I love them none the less. Even the useless toys at the end.

Mimi said...

My daughter was 10 days late and my son (who is younger) was 11 days late.....I always say that he just had to out due his sister...lol