Wednesday, April 15, 2009

7 Year Old in the House!

Well. It's done. Time has marched ever forward and I officially have a 7 year old in the house. Before I know it he will be 8, then 9, then 10. He will no longer look to me for answers. Oh heck. Who am I trying to kid? He doesn't look to me now at least not for a lot of things. Because...well....you know....he knows everything. :)

Now I will tell you that while I don't feel he is ready to face the world alone or anything he does seem to know about things I don't.

GameBoy stuff? I know nothing.
His new DS? Don't even ask me where the stylus is stored.
used cisco? I'm sure he could tell you more than I could being that he is full force in the technology generation.

I had never even heard the word "computer" when I was his age. Heck - I'm not sure when microwaves started working their way into homes but I know we didn't have one until I was close to my teen years. I remember when my grandmother (always ahead of the curve for "new fangled things") showed us her new calculator.

Seriously.

Stories I do love to share with my kids in the way that our grandparents shared their "I had to walk barefoot uphill in the snow both ways to school!" stories.

I wonder what stories my kids will tell their kids. I wonder how "rough" they will have had it from the views of their children or grandchildren. Time will tell, won't it.

But for the record...having a 7 year old makes me feel as old as the stories I tell them. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mean her HUNDRED DOLLAR calculator that could add, subtract, multipy AND divide???

Casey said...

That's the one! And I'm sure you remember that we all took a special trip to her house that night to see it. I remember all of us scrunched around the dining room table watching her push the buttons.

Those were the days. :)

Anonymous said...

yup, got the horses out, hooked up the wagon and headed right up to Grandma's to check out her new fangled invention.

We are so old....

Casey said...

What are you talking about? YOU are so old. *I* am 2.5 years younger. :)