Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

"Our office will be closed on Friday, April 10th in Observance of Good Friday. Please feel free to leave messages if you have problems or concerns, and we will reply as soon as possible when we are back in the office on Monday."

I've been receiving messages like this all over the place today and
I find this both nice and not so much but let me tell you why; I have never, ever, ever been given Good Friday off of work or school.

Why? It seems like in the Midwest and South this is an automatic day off with pay. While I am happy for them - I'm wondering why the Pacific NW (the only area I can really speak to) doesn't observe it. I would love to have Kelton and Dakota home today. It seems to me that Easter is just squished in and it would be nice to have a little more time. (But then, I think that about Christmas as well. And the 4th of July. And New Years Day. Apparently, I just want more days off. Paid, of course.)

A friend of mine who lives in North Carolina wrote the other day to ask if we had plans for today. Ummm...yes. Work and school for some. Playgroup and errands for others. I actually have a twinge of jealousy and it makes me think about looking into Wilmington NC real estate.

I'm just saying. :)

But speaking of Easter.....it's going to be a busy one at our house. First we will have a visit from the Easter bunny. Then we will rush out to the store to pick up birthday cake 1pm family arrives and we will have Kelton's 7th birthday and cousin Bailey's 8th birthday party. Around 2 we will settle the kids in to an activity while grown ups prepare for the Easter meal. Then we eat (and good luck with everyone finding a chair. I hear the floor is comfy.) and after we clean up the meal we will have birthday cake and ice cream.

And since the festivities are here Sunday it means tomorrow will be consumed with cleaning. Joy. I know you are all beyond jealous and since I hate for friends to be jealous of anything I have or do I am just going to invite ALL of you over to help.

Might nice of me, don't you think? :)

Happy Good Friday to everyone who observes it!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I didn't have the day off either. :(

Tanya said...

I left work early, but more for R's birthday then anything. And I doubt it will be paid. I'd love more holidays. I think we get 6.

Monogram Queen said...

We don't get Good Friday off here.. we used to back in the 90's but no more.