Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Kelton Report

It was weigh in day for Kelton and I am happy to report that Kelton gained 2lb 5oz in the past two weeks...well sort of. I do have to subtract the weight of his jeans today from his cotton pants of last time which I think was close to 1 lb which still would make it a gain of 1lb 5oz. I added two Ensure drinks to his food intake and I think that and cutting back some on his laxative, plus spring break and eating when he wanted whenever he wanted, did the trick for this go around.

So why am I still worried about malabsorption issues? Being a mom really plays games with your head.

Dr. Office Weights:
Feb 25th 57.9lbs
March 25th 56.7lbs
April 8th 59.2lbs

We go back in two weeks.

I would give oh so much right now to have him still sitting in the 95th percentile with me being talked to about "You know......studies show that a child with a high BMI...." (and have I mentioned how completely ridiculous I think it is to calculate BMI on still growing children?!?!)

This worry....and the unknowns...are scary and even though in my soul I just *know* he is fine, all the "possibilities" can bring me to my knees.

But for today - hooray!!! He gained weight!

:)

7 comments:

Tanya said...

You grow Kelton! What % is he in now?

Casey said...

According the the online record of his visit; he moved into the 83% for weight today. We did not meausre him today.

Last visit; he was 79% height, 77% weight.

His % is still in the "safe" zone what has been the concern is the unintential weight loss that took him from the 93% in September to 83% today.

And while I was looking all this up I cannot believe that 1lb 5oz can move someone from the 77th % to the 83rd. Isn't that crazy? 5 percentage points for 1lb 5oz is kind of crazy.

I will be happy for him to stay in the 80% range. :)

All these numbers flaoting around make me CRAZY!!!! :)

Unknown said...

Yay Kelton! You keep on gaining young man!

Mimi said...

See I thinks it's just because he is unable to eat when he wants when he's at school......

Julie said...

Good to hear he's gaining weight. I hope Kelton keeps moving in the right direction!

Jen said...

Hey, good for him! I am interested to see what his weight does when he's home for the summer.

Monogram Queen said...

I know what you mean, believe me. Madison was born with pulmonary stenosis (where one of her heart valves is malformed and the other has to work double-time), well she seems like a healthy/normal little girl but we always have to be on the lookout for her lips/fingernails turning blue due to lack of oxygen if there is a flare-up. She sees a pediatric cardiologist yearly and he said right now she's fine but when she hits 8-14 we will have to be extra vigilant due to growth spurts really seem to aggravate this condition. It's damned frightening.
You will always even unconsciously be aware of Kelton's weight and what he is eating.