Thursday, April 16, 2009

And so it begins.....again



Today is Kaylen's first day in the preschool class that is run from the Early Childhood Education class at our neighborhood high school. As we got out of the car this morning Kaylen was so full of excitement and nervousness that she was practically bubbling over. A teacher, standing outside her classroom door as students changed classes said "Good morning, little people!" and Kaylen very proudly said "It's my first day of school!" the teacher was properly impressed and said as much and wished her a good day. Kaylen said "I've waited for this day my whole life!"

I heard "Oh my gosh - isn't she just the cutest!" And I have to say, she certainly is.

We walked to the room with Kelton saying "Mom - I don't remember this at all." When we got to the room I had her pose for the obligatory first day of school picture and then we went in.

I signed her in and Izzy, her buddy for the day, helped her put on her name tag and ushered her off for free time play. She gave me a quick wave and was gone.

Just like that.
Kelton and I walked out of the room and Kelton looked very, very sad. I know he was hoping she would cling to him (and I think she would have if she had been given the chance) so he could show her the ropes. I said "What's wrong buddy?"

"I'm really nervous for her." he said.

"Me, too. But she'll be ok." and we walked back to the car.

We arrived back to the house with 15 minutes before Kelton's bus so we hung out together. Every minute or so he would sigh and say "I miss Kaylen. It's weird here without her."

And he is soooooo right. It's amazing how much space one little person can take up and when they are gone - well...the hole seems big enough to fall into.

Kaylen has been my side kick for years and rarely are we apart - and never during the week. I miss her. Only an hour to go until I can pick her up.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my gosh! What an adorable story, all of it. Happy first day of school to her! I would love to hear all about it -- that is the sort of program my boys are entering in the fall. Tell her to dictate a report to you so you can post it!

How was your time alone? I bet you'll be able to enjoy it more in the upcoming weeks, as you grow more confident she's enjoying herself.

Lielanie said...

Let us know how it turns out.. I can barely leave my girls with a well-known sitter, I can't imagine leaving her at preschool... but soon I will be! I'm terrified already.

Mimi said...

Is't a weired time of year to start pre school??? Ours start in September....my grand daughter is starting then....hummmm just a couple of weeks and school will be out for summer???

Casey said...

Jen - I have a whopping 45 minutes alone between taking her to school and then getting Kelton to the bus so it isn't a lot. It was ok - I had a cup of coffee and watched a morning TV show that wasn't kid-centered. :)

Mimi: It's a 7 week program offered by the high school childhood ed class. They have a session in the fall and another in the spring. She didn't think she was ready for the fall one but now that she is 4, she's ready. :) It's short lived but gives her a taste of school. We don't really do the whole "preschool" thing. I'll find different perschool type programs for her over the next year as we can afford to. Regular preschool just isn't in the budget right now. I could see where she would LOVE it but for Kelton, it wasn't an option because he wasn't ready for it and hated every class in the 7 week program he went to. It was hard and sad. So he wasn't ready and it was no big deal. Kaylen, though, she would be ready.

If only we could win the lottery. :)

Caroline said...

I love how sweet Kelton and Kaylen are to each other.

Unknown said...

Ok, I had tears in my eyes. I will be going thru this this fall and I am just dying inside :(

Sweet Kaylen, just loving her school. She was very ready for it!

Jeri

Froggymama said...

Wow, big congratulatory hugs for first days and birthdays!

And can I just say that is the cutest thing ever that Kelton was so concerned for his little sis.

Kristen said...

I know you miss her, but enjoy your alone time!!