Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving, one and all!

It's that time of year when we purposely stop, look around and give thanks for all we have in our lives.

I know that I have so very much to be grateful for this year. The latest bit of gratitude from me comes from an unlikely place - or does it? Maybe it is so easy for us to look at the grand things (good health, love, a roof over our heads and food on the tables) that we overlook the tiniest moments for gratitude.

Last night, just minutes after Dakota arrived home early from class (Gratitude #1; it's awesome when she arrives home early!) there was a knock on the front door and the dogs went wild (Gratitude #2; the dogs didn't wake the sleeping children.). We do not have a peep hole and I fear knocks on the door after dark when I am home alone (Gratitude #3; I wasn't alone.). I held the dogs while Dakota called "Who is it?" through the door.

The voice of a neighbor came back, identifying himself. (Gratitude #4; not a scary stranger.) Dakota opened the door.

As it turns out, he had mail for me that had been delivered to his box. My newly renewed drivers license! (Gratitude #5; we all know it could have been a devastating event for my drivers license to end up in the wrong hands. Just think of all the information so easily at the hands of someone not meaning well.)

So - all in the span on 15 seconds, I had five things for which to be thankful. Imagine if we all paid close attention to a single hour in our lives - we would have many things to give thanks for on an hourly basis. It's truly amazing when you think about it.

In the hustle and bustle of the next few days, I hope we can all take a few minutes to be still inside ourselves and feel all the things, both big and tiny, that we have to be grateful for. I know that I am grateful for, and to, all of you for coming by here day after day to read my life stories. Your friendship and love is something I absolutely do not take for granted.

Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Happy Thanksgiving, and this is a great post!

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! We do have a lot to be thankful for and its hard to see it on a daily basis. I am thankful for really good friends! Jeri

Anonymous said...

Just reading this now. Thanks for reminding us all of the many many wonderful things we can miss if we don't pay attention. Life is good, isn't it!?

Heidi

Caroline said...

Hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I love the picture. Did you take it when you were at the ocean?

Tanya said...

Great idea! I'm takful that my dad let us use my sister's old car while we try to fix our truck, so we didn't have to rent one. :)