Friday, November 21, 2008

How Was It For You?

I'm guessing the title of this post grabbed your attention because... yeah - I know how you all are. :)

Sorry to disappoint. I'm speaking of your evening. How was your evening?

Want to know how mine was? Great, because that's what I'm going to tell you about. Nothing like a captive audience.

Last night was my monthly PTO meeting at Kelton's school so I fed the kids a little earlier than usual to make sure there was time to get all the house stuff done for the night. The sitter, the 13 year old niece of our high school senior sitter (who, darnit, got a real evening job), arrived at 5:45. The house was clean, the children fed and calm. We went over a list of activities that were fine (reading, computer games, real games, toys) and we went over approved snacks (cheese sticks, granola bars. yogurt drinks and yogurt tubes). While I did not specifically say what was off limits....Kelton and I had talked earlier and he knew. The rules for sitters do not change.) We said our goodbyes and I was out the door.

The meeting started at 6:00. Around 6:10 I get a text message from a friend. No biggie. I read it quickly and put the phone away. Around 6:15, my phone rang and the display showed Dakota's name. I answered with "Hey - I'm in a meeting right now and I'll call you back, ok?" No answer...which is not all that uncommon, Her phone randomly places calls to me from the inside of her pants pocket. So I hung up.

Ten minutes later, my phone rings again. Again, it shows Dakota. Figuring it was her pocket calling again (I'm telling you - it happens a lot. I'm used to it.) I flipped open the phone and then snapped it shut.

Ten minutes after that it rang again. This time it was home. I had a bit of a panic since suddenly it dawned on me that Dakota might have been calling because of an emergency. I answer quickly, as I move away from the table. It was Kelton "Mom...can I umm..play with the ummm..modeling clay." Both relief and annoyance wash over me.

"I'd rather you didn't, Kelton. You know that." (the rule is no arts and crafts with an evening sitter because they get so out of hand)

click

He hung up on me. Fine whatever.

I go back to the meeting.

And about 15 minutes later, my phone rings again. Ok - now it's just becoming a joke and I am feeling really awkward (and also that it is time to change my ring tone. People tend to look at you funny when Hannah Montana starts to play from your purse). I grab the phone, get up and walk to a corner of the library. It's Kelton again. I said "Kelton, you need to stop calling me. Listen to your babysitter and follow the rules. I will walk to you when I get home."

"Ok Mom. Bye."

I return to the table and finish the meeting.

As I'm leaving the parking lot I call Dakota, who is still at work studying. She had forgotten I was in a meeting and only remembered when, after the second time she called me, she called the house.

I get home.....and utter chaos awaited me. Every light in the house was on and the kids were sitting at the breakfast bar painting. PAINTING! With non-washable paint. The kitchen was a disaster. Modeling clay was everywhere. The living room was a mess. And my head was spinning.

I asked how the kids had been and got "Great." for the answer. Good enough - my head was spinning way too much for more than that. I went and got the money to pay her and told the kids to get their shoes on. She lives down at the end of the block but it was dark and raining and I knew that a 13 year old should be taken home. It's a pain though because it means getting the kids cleaned up from their painting disaster and into shoes and coats. Just as we are ready to walk out the front door, there comes a knock. The sitter's mom was coming by (for reasons I am not sure I understand...to check on her maybe? It does feel weird to have people I don't know and have never met inside with my children.). I explain that I had just gotten home and we were getting ready to take her home (it was 7:30). We made incredibly awkward small talk as I tried to usher them both out the door. It was late. The kids were up past their bedtime and I now had the house to completely clean up. I was (more than) a tad bit irritated by everything that had transpired since I walked out the door 90 minutes before.

I got things cleaned up and the kids ready for bed. Without stories, they were tucked in and the house fell quiet. It was now 8:30. Ninety minutes past their bedtime and Fifteen minutes before Dakota would be home.

I sat down and immediately got to work on my huge (did I say "huge"? I meant enormous!) To Do list for the PTO. Before that though I quickly dashed off an email to the friend who had text'd me to let her know I wasn't blowing her off and then I got to work finding information on the Scholastic Book Fair (which apparently last years PTO decided not to set up....as is the normal thing to do so that it is always on the calendar. Last years PTO actually left us in a tough place with everything. Not one person from the parent side of the board, a many people from the teachers side, did not return this year for various reasons (moves, retirement, children moving into middle school). And in their big send off, they spent almost every penny in the account, took all the files of events and contacts, and failed to schedule the dates for things like the book fair. Needless to say, we are spending way too much energy and time "reinventing the wheel". I keep trying to convince myself that this is just a learning year for the PTO and next year we will have it all figured out. Hmmm.)

Dakota arrived home quickly after I sat down to work so I did a couple quick things and then joined her on the couch to watch Eli Stone. I was so keyed up that it took me a long while to settle down.

And then, after me being asleep for maybe an hour, Kaylen woke up screaming and crying. Dakota went in first and the screaming ramped up. She wanted me. I got in there as fast as I could (hey - a girl has to pee sometimes) but she was inconsolable. Finally she settled down enough to flip over and....she was immediately back to sleep. She has no recollection of it this morning so I am guessing it was some sort of a nightmare or night terror. From that point on though - she slept perfectly until 6am.

So...that was my night. How was yours? :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your HUGE mess! Here is an idea to bring up at your next meeting. Free babysitting for the kids of parents who attend meetings. They do this at our school. One (or more) of the teachers volunteers their time and they all hang out in the gym with children two and up. It is great! No mess at home and you know your kids are being supervised!

Tanya said...

So when is she babysitting again? :) After the frustration or R not going to class, mine was great thanks for asking. J was actually asleep before 9!

Casey said...

Our PTO does offer child watch and I have taken them but it isn't any easy really. THey are really tired by that time of day so keeping them engaged in whatever activity is hit and miss and they both ended up stuck to me like glue and proved to be a huge distraction and frustration for me. In Jan, Dakota won't yet be in class so she will be here with them and then in Feb, if the older sitter isn't available, I'll take them with me.

I was just wanting to avoid it.
:)

Monogram Queen said...

Better than yours! Lord what a night. Don't even utter the word *whispers* night terrors... haven't had them in aWHILE! Hope tonight is a better one for you Casey!

Audra said...

OH man! How awful that you had to clean all that up! When I used to babysit, I always brought a box of goodies to keep kids occupied with, and most important it was easy to clean up!

Kristen said...

Is the babysitter fired? I got fired once when I was younger. They asked me to do something with the dishes when we were done eating (soak them in the sink maybe?) which I did. but then we made popcorn on the stove, which of course made a dirty pan. That I didn't put in the sink to soak. Grumpy mom told me I was fired and I never got to go back there :( Its okay, I had plenty of other gigs to keep me busy.
I bet she called her momo to come over and help her out, or clean up before you got home.

Casey said...

Audra: Sure with YOU lived closer. :)

Kristen: No, I did not fire her. :) If I use her again I would be sure things were in writing (and I would tell her that unless it was a real emergency, there is no need for the kids to call me). I do have responsibilty in this because I trusted Kelton to do what he knew was ok and not to play the babysitter to which I clearly had too much faith.

I will go back to the notes about what is ok and not. And reiterate the entire "clean us as you move along" thing. She is a fine sitter for an hour or two (but maybe not in the evening when all I want to do is come home and put kids to bed) but I wouldn't go longer than that.

I definitely wouldn't fire her though. It's all about learning - for her, the kids and more importantly...me. :)