Friday, November 07, 2008

Reading

The other night I took the kids to a bookstore in the hopes of finding a paper announcing our new president. I am sad to say, I could not find. I went to many places over the course of the day and everyone was sold out of the paper. Bummer for me - I really wanted one to put in our keepsake box for the kids.

While we were at the bookstore, the kids and I wandered back to the kids section to look at books. I told them they could each get one book. While I stood with Kaylen while she chose her Dora book (Dora Goes to the Doctor) Kelton was off around a corner. Suddenly I hear the most amazing thing; his little voice reading.

He had found a book that interested him (Happy Birthday, Sponge Bob) and he was reading it to himself!!!!!! It was just the sweetest thing. I stood as quietly as I could just so I could hear him read for as long as possible. Absolutely adorable.

He's been reading for a long time now but this was the first time he went someplace like a store or a library, picked out a book that caught his attention and read it - by himself - without prompting.

My book loving heart swelled three times its size. :)

7 comments:

Audra said...

That is great that they are such readers! I remember devouring books as a kid. Also, it'll be a bit more than the regular cost of a magazine, but you can order copies direct from newspapers :)

SJayneI said...

Awesome! I can imagine I'll be the same way when Bella gets there. She loves book now and will sit and 'read' them herself. It's adorable!

Perrin said...

Casey...you may be wanting a NY Times or something but if a regular old Columbian would do, you are welcome to mine. I was slow getting the recycling out this week so I still have it.

A Jersey Girl said...

Casey,

If you saw one that you want, you can usually order them directly.

The NY POST was nice.

Emily

Tanya said...

Very sweet :) Oh and try calling your local papers. I know you could go to the front desk of our major paper and get one.

Froggymama said...

Wonderful!

Did you ever read the book "The Boxcar Children" when you were young? My aunt read it to us (it's a short novel) when we were about Kelton's age. It's an incredible story, he might enjoy. Although Kaylen maybe a little young for it.

yankeegirl said...

Love it when the kids love books- I'm the same way :)
You might check your local paper's website- our local paper had extra copies available at their downtown office and even special formats of the front page for sale.