Monday, November 17, 2008

A New Tradition

This year we have a new Christmas tradition in our house; Jack, the Christmas Elf.

Last year Dakota's mom gave every family in the clan a gift of "The Elf on the Shelf". I don't know about you but Dakota and I grew up in homes that had at least one Christmas Elf in them. We didn't have the story to go along with them that Kelton and Kaylen have but I do remember several of these little guys in all the Christmas trappings. Dakota's mom had Elves as well and they were a favorite part of her Christmas memories.

Knowing how important the Elves were to Dakota and others in the family, when Dakota's mom found "The Elf on the Shelf" she bought several and gave them to everyone along with a very touching note.

And so a tradition was born.

The kids named our guy Jack and every day Jack sits somewhere in the house and watches over things. After the children are in bed, he flies off to the North Pole to give his report to Santa and then he returns to sit in a new spot for the next day. In the morning, the kids have to find him.

It's been a big hit for the past two mornings and I expect it will be for the rest of the Christmas season.

The first morning the kids found him in a wreath:


And this morning, Jack was sitting on top the hall clock:


I wonder where we will find him tomorrow. :)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! that is such a cute tradition!

Audra said...

what an awesome tradition!

Anonymous said...

oh my god! i love this! totally doing this.

Lynilu said...

I have three of those, one red, one pink and one green. They actually belong to my step-children. When they moved away from home, my husband kept those and we put them on the tree or a shelf; it was our way have having them with us at Christmas. When he passed away, I told the kids that they could have a share of the family Christmas decorations, but not the elves. Those stay with me for the same reason .... they are with me every Christmas.

SJayneI said...

Oh WOW! That's adorable; I am stealing as well. Do you mind?

Mimi said...

OMG I love that.....hummm I will have to check that out....love it

Kristen said...

What a cute idea! We'll have to try that

Tanya said...

I think Justus would love this game. And the idea is pretty cute, but kind of eerie, all at the same time.

Monogram Queen said...

Dammit you are not going to believe this but I was going to send one of these to the kids. I've ordered them from Amazon! Now i'll have to pick some other blogger's child(ren) ! I am glad you are familiar with the Elf On The Shelf though! He is so neat!!!

Stacey said...

Haha that's such a fun idea. My mom had those elves too and they looked ratty and worn out after a while. :P

Catherine said...

I love this idea. I might steal it for us.

Unknown said...

I love it! And a very cute little elf fellow. I might have to look into this tradition.

Froggymama said...

We used to do this too! I totally forgot all about it. Can't wait to share this tradition with Froggy!

Ree said...

OMG--we had a couple of those when I was little!! 2 I believe: 1 red and 1 green!! I don't remember my parents doing the game with us, though. They were just decorations. Wow-I totally forgot about those!! I'll have to do that with my little princess!!