Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring...and more

Oh my gosh. I wish you could hear the rain outside right now (well...for those of you living in my town, you *are* hearing the rain). Wow. It's loud. It's a lot. And it's been raining ALL day long. Seriously. All day.

There is one great thing about listening to it pour - this year, as opposed to last, I am not worried about the siding on the house. I am not concerned the the gutter is overflowing and the water is splashing up on the house as it hit the patio. For the first time in a couple years, it doesn't concern me because, as you know, we had the house resided in vinyl siding in February. So bring on the rain - wood rot isn't happening here. :)

The downside to the rain right now is the gutters need to be cleaned. The leaves, I'm sure, are causing trouble which makes the gutters overflow during downpours. We usually do the fall gutter clean when we hang Christmas lights and we haven't yet gotten to that chore though, with the rain we've had for days on end, I'm not even sure when it will happen. I know that the first dry day will be the winner but who knows when that will be - we had hoped this past Sunday but nope. It was raining then, too. :) (Now don't think we are too weird. We have to get the lights up when it's A) dry and B) Dakota is home. It's not as easy as it seems. We don't turn then on until Thanksgiving weekend though.)

I cleaned the carpets today. Boy oh boy did they need it. Truthfully, it's time they were professionally cleaned but that isn't in the budget so I pulled out the Bissell and got down to business. It's hard to know from the filthy nasty mud water I pulled out that I actually *do* clean the carpets every 6-8 weeks. Kids and dogs are so hard on carpeting. It looks (and feels) tons better now. I just love how soft the carpet is on bare feet right after it's been cleaned.

OH! And this is cute; Kaylen has decided on a nickname she would like us to call her. Squirrel. Yes, that's right - she wants us to call her squirrel because they are cute and furry and she would like to hold one. I tell you - there is nothing better than a conversation with a three year old. So now I just have to remember to call her by her beloved nickname.

And speaking of Kaylen...her sensory issues were at full tilt today but especially in regards to her car seat. It was, you guessed it, "too tight". I suggested we give her a new way of looking at things when her body is giving her signals that she isn't ok....I said "How about if we call that weird feeling she gets "feeling squirrely". She loved that idea and used it several times. It was so much nicer to hear her say that than to scream "My seat belt is too tight! You have to fix it NOW!" *sigh* I do feel for her - she has so many issues with clothes, shoes, socks, seat belts...and lately, smells. It seems as soon as we make progress in one area, something new pops us.

In the past month or two smells really get her. She has complained of bad smells for a long time but as of late, if it is something she finds particularly offensive, she pukes. Yesterday the kids were eating breakfast at the breakfast bar when Kelton, after eating his lightly garlic salted bread (don't' ask - he loves it and insists on it with scrambled eggs), got too close to Kaylen and she complained. Instead of backing off he choose to breathe right in her face. Not even 3 seconds later, there was thrown up scrambled eggs all over. She just can't help it. It's the oddest thing. I am chalking it up to yet one more sensory issue in her long, long list.

To end on a happy note though Kelton enjoyed his Read-In Day. Tomorrow is "dress like your favorite book character" day though when I tried talking with him about it he seemed less than thrilled. I think he may be "booked out" for now. Who knows what tomorrow will bring - I'm sure to be scrambling in the morning to throw something together. It would be great if there were Indiana Jones books that he was reading - we already have *that* costume. :)

And in case you are wondering....the rain is still coming down. :)

10 comments:

Zach said...

I'd be really interested in hearing more about Kaylen's processing issues. Personally, I have a lot of trouble with auditory processing. I hear the sounds, usually, but turning them into words is difficult. I score all over hearing tests because of this. For smells, I can't sense a lot of them and others are just intense and awful. How have these sensory issues affected Kaylen so far?" Are there any accommodations you've made as a family?
Thanks for your always great posts. I love reading about your cute kids and just a vision of making queer life work with two kids and a frequently-absent partner.

Audra said...

Man I miss the rain :/

I feel for Kaylen! Growing up I had some issues with how things felt. I would only wear certain fitting pants, I would re-fold my socks over and over. My mom was over me LOL.

Lynilu said...

A friend from KC recently moved to Maple Valley, WA. She mentioned in a recent email that it rains and is cold, rains and is cold. I know what she means. The year my hub passed away up there, I noticed how the cold penetrated, even when it wasn't severe, because of the persistent w.e.t.n.e.s.s. Argh.

Kaylen is obviously very connected to the world around her. Actually, that is very good. Miserable for her (and you) at times, I'm sure, but she knows her world. :)

Kristen said...

is it raining now?

how bout now?

Just teasing you from dry Sacramento. We'd love some rain actually.

Poor Squirrel and her sensory stuff. Have you talked to a Ped about it?

Froggymama said...

First, I'm jealous that it's raining where you are. Have I ever told you it NEVER rains in LA?

I love the squirrel idea. She is one funny bunny...or squirrel.

And I understand the sensory stuff. I was the same way, seatbelts, smells, etc. I still can't stand it when the seatbelt is too tight, or, and this is weird but, if anyone touches my bellybutton or spine. Very strange. But the smell thing has gotten better for me (except when I was pregnant of course.) My sister is the same way, and we've both grown out of most of our little quirks, so hopefully that will be the case for Kaylen too. It's no fun being too sensitive, but I think it can be a good thing too. She'll probably have a incredible sense of empathy, and pick up on things other people may not.

Stacey said...

wow, that's tough with her sensory issues.

cute nickname!

we put guards on our eavestroughs so we don't have to clean them now. :)

Catherine said...

Robbie has lots of Sensory issues. And like you said when one is gone, another one replaces it. He used to take his shoes and socks off in public a lot. Now he doesn't, but now he chews and sucks his clothes. It is almost gone and I am wondering what will replace it. I am working with an OT on it.

Ree said...

We had that kind of rain here in South Jersey yesterday--Thursday!! I thought it would NEVER stop. It eventually did, but we are going to get more tonight and tomorrow!! Oh well, so much for a weekend of leaf clean up!!

Anonymous said...

I am a full grown 33 year old woman and smells can still get me. I don't think I have an aversion as strong as your daughters, but certain smells do make me want to puke. Notably vinegar and any salad dressing. I dry heave every time I clean out old tupperware with bad food in the fridge (thankfully my husband offers to clean it out for me most of the time because of that). Just wanted you to know your daughter isn't alone in that. Maybe it will get less intense with time.

Monogram Queen said...

I feel for you on the sensory issues. I bet Kelton won't breathe garlic fumes on her again though LOL It rained here last night/today too.