Wednesday, June 04, 2008

You've Got to be Pooping Me?!?!

Oh my goodness.

Let me start out by telling you the back story. Kaylen saw me getting some Little Swimmer swim diapers ready to go to a friend as we have no further need for them and they are just taking up precious space. She, of course, had to have one. Or two. I drew the line at three. She proceeded to put one on even though I said she was too big for them and that they did not hold pee and were only meant for keeping poop from kids, who are not yet potty trained, out of swimming pools. She didn't really need them because she has been potty trained for a long, long time. She says she understand all that but wants to wear one anywhere. Ok - whatever. Who is it going to hurt, right?

So far so good.

Fast forward to 30 minutes ago (about two hours and two successful potty trips since putting on the swim diaper).

I hear rustling around in the bathroom but pay little attention as the kids, both potty trained and able to handle all but the finishing part of pooping by themselves, are in and out of the bathroom all day. The stool moves from its usual place to in front of the sink and back again many times a day. Water runs as they wash their hands. I'm used to it and pay little attention. When they yell "Mom! I'm done!" I tend to their needs and we go about our lives.

I hear "I'm done, Mom!" so I go in to help. Except......

EXCEPT!!!

Poop. Poop on little hands. Poop in and on the potty chair. Poop smeared on the toilet seat. Poop on the stool. Poop on the counter and in the sink.

Oh. My. Hell.

I am a novice at this. Neither child has been poop explorers (thank God!). I am stopped dead in my tracks. I can't really think and I can't really understand what this tiny child is trying to explain.

Something about not getting there in time...poop in her swim diaper so she picked it up (!) and put it in her potty and then she had to wash her hands but it's still on her and ..."Mommy - can you help me please?"

I snap to and wipe her hiney. I grab a wash cloth and I do a preliminary wipe down of her hands and a quick swipe of the counter and sink. Then I turn on the hot water and lather her hands, get her clean and scoot her out of the bathroom.

Oh dear. Where to even begin?

I grab the sanitizer wipes and start with the floor. Grab another one and clean the sink and counter. A third takes care of the stool and the toilet. Finally....finally...it's cleaned up and I feel pretty good that I have gotten rid of the poop germs.

I think I'm traumatized though. And I think I've sprouted a few more gray hairs. Pass the anti wrinkle cream please.

Oh. My.

15 comments:

Julie said...

Okay, I'm sorry, but this is actually pretty funny and I have to say, I saw some of it coming. That being said, I do feel sorry for you! What a mess!!

Brenda said...

Oh, the joys of motherhood!!! Sorry!!!

Audra said...

:O!

While I know that isn't funny I can't help but laugh a teeny bit.

I am SO sorry. If that had been me, I would have run away crying!

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine the mess but it did bring a chuckle. Oh the fun times of being a mom :-)
Elizabeth, Fresno

Monogram Queen said...

Oh dear I can't help but chuckle because poop ... just the word makes me laugh but if I have to DEAL with it! Ugh! Wiping Mad's heinie is bad enough. She never wants to touch it either thank gawd!

Lielanie said...

That is great.. Toss those swim diapers some place where they will never be found!! Curse diapers, may our kids never wear another one!! Here's to a better evening :)

Shannon said...

Oh my. This is my worst fear about having a kid. Okay, not my *worst* fear but it's pretty high on the list. I have to say, though, your story made me giggle just a little. If it happened to me I'd be traumatized!

Caroline said...

I'm sorry...I can't help but laugh. When I think about having a baby of my own I always stop when I get the point of me having to deal with poop and throw up. I just don't know if I could handle it.

Casey said...

Julie: :)

Brenda: Joys of motherhood. Oh yes. Indeedy.

Audra: I would be laughing too - if it hadn't been ME. :)

Elizabeth: Glad I could make you giggle a little. I have to say, I would have been laughing hard - if someone else had been writing about the story. :)

Patti: When do you think they will start wiping their own behinds? :)

Lielanie: Thanks!

Shannon: Poop and vomit - both things are fears, aren't they? I hope you never know the "joy" that I experienced today. :)

Caroline: Every time this stuff happens (especially the vomit!) I think "I cna't do this! I just can't do this!" but somehow, I always do. Like I have a choice, right? But still - you'd manage. I promise. :)

Melanie said...

OMG!! I actually CAN'T laugh at this one! I feel your panic, your pain, your exhaustion - and I hope you NEVER have to experience that one again!!

Froggymama said...

Sooo funny because I wasn't the one to clean up. I hear ya. And how ironic, because Froggy (for the first time ever!) stuck her hand in her diaper and pulled out some poo today! Good times.

Unknown said...

How awful! Im so sorry you had to go thru that. My oldest used to finger paint with his poop when he was in diapers. Used to love to wake up to that. He seemed to want to paint the murals while he was waiting for me to wake up. My youngest also likes to stick her finger down her diaper to show me she has poop too. LOVE that part of motherhood! Jeri

Kristen said...

omg! gross! Thankfully Audrey keeps her weird pooping habits confined to day care.

Did you feel the need to sanitize yourself after that fiasco?

Stacey said...

haha. motherhood is fun sometimes.

PT-LawMom said...

CRAP!! I laugh but I feel your pain. Pumpkinhead did a bath poop once. We won't talk about what hot water does to the poop. Ick.