Monday, June 09, 2008

You Can't Stop Time

I just can't quite wrap my head around it. Kelton's last full day of school will be one week from tomorrow. One week. The last day doesn't count - it's not even two hours long. Hardly worth the fuss of getting everyone fed, dressed and out the door but still - last days are important. At least, they were to me when I was a kid...you know, back when we all lived in caves. :)

What I can't quite get though is how this happened. How did we get to here from ....well......there. It feels like just weeks ago we endured those first few weeks of adjusting to him being in school and now we are starting to plan for the adjustment from being a kindergartner in half day school to a first grader in full day school. The weeks and month in between then and now have blurred together. It's gone so unbelievably fast.

I have been trying to decide what, if anything, to do for an end of the year thank you for Kelton's teachers. I had thought about just his classroom teacher but when Kelton and I were talking about it, he said that he really wanted to do something little for his PE teacher, his music teacher (I'm not surprised by this and I had actually planned to do a little something for him) and the librarian (this one surprised me a little). Clearly these are all people with whom he has created a bond of some sort. We talked about how Kelton would write the thank you cards this weekend - I figured that would put in perspective who was really of great importance to him. To my surprise, he readily agreed.

The ideas I have in mind are nothing as spectacular as designer jewelry but still they are respectable and individual. My amazing, beautiful son has grown this year and it's only right that we thanks those who had a part in his transformation.

I still can't believe that kindergarten is almost over. When I was talking with Kelton about how I was a little sad that the year is coming to an end (but really happy for the time we;d have together this summer) he said "But Mom! I'm going to be a big first grader now!" It's true. He will be - and there is no holding back time.

There is one for sure thing about being a parent. It is filled with bittersweet moments.

6 comments:

Froggymama said...

I love it that Kelton wants to do something special for all his teachers. He's such a neat kid, so sweet and thoughtful.

Cheers to a fun-filled summer!

Anonymous said...

Aaahh yes. We just went through this as well. My son just finished KG last week and he also wanted to give all his teachers something. I thought about it for some time and then ended up getting them what I would want myself. Coffee gift cards. So it was starbucks and caribou cards for them all. I had Lukas make a little card/note for the teachers and that was that. I still can't believe how time has gone by and now 1st grade. Wow. Life is a flying!

Heidi

Stacey said...

wow, time sure does fly.

if you were canadian, I'd say Tim Hortons gift certificates would make awesome gifts for teachers. ;)

Lynilu said...

I know it is hard to remember and even harder to do, but try to think of it this way .... every age has it's own wonder, even adulthood. I miss the baby/toddler/etc., days, but my kids are such awesome adults, too.

Shannon said...

It really does seem like just a couple of weeks ago that you were posting about him starting school. Time flies. Hope you all enjoy the summer!

Anonymous said...

We're giving Avery's teachers home made 'books' (and Amex gift cards). There are three pages of the book, not including the cover. The first page is a picture that Avery drew of something she knows the teacher likes (flowers, the beach, etc), the second page is a small letter that Avery wrote ("Dear Ms.xxx, What I really liked to do the most with you was...learn science.) and then for the last page Avery drew a pic of herself and her teacher. We also attached a wallet sized photo of Avery to the 'letter' page, but we happen to always have extra wallet photos around.

What was my point? I don't know. Thats what we did. lol