Saturday, June 07, 2008

Saturday Garage Sales

A couple friends and I went out and hit some of the big neighborhood garage sales this morning. The biggest one was in the high priced neighborhood not too far away. Talk about disappointing. After stopping by many, many, many garages I walked out with three puzzles. (24-piece puzzles for a certain 3 year old who is really getting into them and wanted more complex ones than we have.) For all three, I paid a whopping seventy-five cents. I know - big spender.

I had really thought there would be more to peek my interest but nope....there was stuff to be had, of course, it's just that I didn't really need beauty salon chairs, chandeliers, or a gigantic bar. I didn't have a need for the selection of wedding dresses or the massive amounts of VHS tapes. Eventually I found two new superhero costumes (for dress up which occurs regularly around here) that I picked up for Kelton. It took the grand total spent to $8.75. I was willing to pay the $4 each since they were new and in sizes that Kelton would be able to use for at least two years.

What did strike me while we were out and about though is how many houses are up for sale. So, so, so many of them. It scares me. Not that I think you need a $1.6 million dollar house but it wasn't just the ritzy neighborhoods, every neighborhood had houses for sale. I find it alarming. What a strange and frightening time.

Here's hoping we can all hold on through these times and make it into smooth waters again. Now that the Democratic candidate has been secured - let's move forward and work like hell to get back into the White House!!!! It's definitely time for a change.

I'm just saying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are SO many houses for sale here too. When i drive home from NH (visiting my folks) I literally drive from one of end long island to the other. SO SO SO many houses are in foreclosure. It freaks me out every single time. They're all owned by freaking banks!! Sometimes I feel like we're steps away from everything falling apart. Scary times.

Melanie said...

Even though we didn't have a bunch of awesome "finds", it was still very fun! (and we got some exercise - ha!)