Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pink Pink - You Stink

Really? This is what it comes down to? For 6 plus years we have successfully navigated our way around this. Just dumb luck, probably, but still...never before.

Until now.

I think the kids (and probably me, too) have conjunctivitis which is really just a high falutin' way of saying "pink eye". Fun times! Yesterday Kelton's eye was bloodshot but he said it felt fine. By bedtime he was complaining that his non-red eye was bugging him. When I went to check on him before I went to bed, his eyes were very yucky. Kaylen has a little yellow-y goober in her eyes off and on yesterday but. again, I gave it little thought. By this morning, she is complaining her eyes hurt and she doesn't like "the snobbies" in them. As for me, my left eye starting burning a little last night and this morning it feels a bit swollen. No goobies for me though - which I am happy about, thanks. :)

I've done some looking around on the web this morning and apparently pink eye is as common as the common cold and usually follows a cold (which we all have had in recent weeks). A "cold of the eye" is the school of thought.

Huh? I always assumed pink eye was an infection and needed to be treated with antibiotics. But it can be no big deal? I had no idea. Everyone I've ever known with pink eye was treated with antibiotics.

To be fair, this is my first encounter with the eye goobers so I have no point of reference. I'm waiting for the doctors office to call me back so I will know how to proceed on this one.

The fun never stops. :)

6 comments:

Mimi said...

You do have to go to the doctors for an antibiotics for pink eye....no big deal....I do in home day care and believe me I have had it a few times....it just sucks have to go to the doctors when all they would have to do it call the antibiotics in.....they want the darn co pay....lol

Tanya said...

Sorry you have to experience pink eye. Both times J has had it they have put him on drop (always fun), but our Dr. did say it is no more contagious, or dangerous, then a regular cold. He thinks it's silly that kids need to stay out of school for the "dreaded pink-eye, because no one has ever died from pink eye" (his sarcasm)

Casey said...

Mimi: Apparently not always. There is something called viral pink eye. Bacterial pink eye is determined by the color of the whites of the eyes. If it is red, it's bacterial. Not red is viral even if the symptoms other than that are the same. Interesting. But - the kids have bacterial and have the drops. I'm actually happy to be able to make it better with meds.

Tanya: I actually get the whole "keep them away from other kids for 24 hours" thing mainly because I don't want my kids bringing home things unnecessarily. I get gritchy when someone unleasheda child with a bad cold on my kids, too. I just don't like it and doubt I ever will.

No one died from head lice either but I sure don't want my kids being exposed to that either. :)

You don't die from lots of things but I don't think that means it's ok to spread it around. Just my two cents worth. :)

Lynilu said...

Is Dakota running for the hills??? LOL!

I agree with you, Casey, about "you don't die from..." I think doctors say things like that to easy parents' concerns, but honestly! If more people stayed away from others with the "don't kill you" things like colds, lice, pink eye, fewer others would be infected!!

Caroline said...

Oh yes...eye goobers. Yet another thing I don't think I could handle. :)

Tracey said...

I think you jinxed me. E came down with pink eye on Saturday, and I ended up missing work Monday because of the eye crusties. Ugh. Glad all our eyes are better now.