Tuesday, June 10, 2008

As It Turns Out....

Kelton is allergic to the drops they gave him this morning. I called the nurse help line this evening because of a problem Kaylen developed and I mentioned that Kelton's eye was very red around the entire eye area of his right eye. Kaylen's problem turned out to (most likely) just be a coincidence but Kelton's got the immediate response of "Stop the drops immediately and I'll call you back when I have a new medication order waiting for you."

I raced out tonight and picked them up. Hopefully by tomorrow Kelton will have lost his "Hi - I just got punched in the eye. Someone please hand me a steak." look. Poor kid. :(

The plus side is that we were able to experience only a local reaction to Sulfa instead of a systemic reaction. From here on out, I can no longer answer "He has no allergies to medication." *sigh*

It doesn't so much surprise me though. My mom was allergic to Sulfa. My sister and I are both allergic to it as well. I don't know about my brothers or my dad but still - those are high odds for a family. They say allergies aren't genetic but you just have to wondering sometimes. Giving kids new medications is so much stress!!

So - the drops for Kelton were a piece of cake for his final dose tonight (the new ones have no possibility of stinging. And in fact, the screaming and yelling about the stinging from Kelton was a red flag for the allergy. Who knew.). Kaylen though - she's another story. It was darn hard to get her last set in tonight. They don't sting - she just hates them completely.

Ought to be interesting to see what tomorrow holds.

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Ohhh, poor bunnies! I hope that tomorrow brings much improvement to everyone. Think good thoughts, wash those hands, and hopefully we'll see you all real soon!

Audra said...

poor guy! I've been lucky to escape that so far, and I will be like KAylen if I ever get it! I HATE drops. I once had a scratch on my eye and I had to use drops and dylan had to do it for me, I couldn't do it!

Lynilu said...

The allergy thing .... yeah, they say it is not genetic, yet my son's allergies are almost identical to his father's. I'm not convinced that the experts know best on that.

Glad you got something that will work for him, not against him!! Poor kid!

Tanya said...

Oh no, I hope everyone is feeling better today. R has a problem with Sulfa too and J screams about the drops but they don't make his eyes worse, hummm.

Shannon said...

Aww, poor Kelton. Glad you figured out what was wrong.

A Jersey Girl said...

Poor Kelton. But like you said better to find the reaction this way. I know how Kaylen feels, I am not an eye drop girl myself:) Hope you all Get Better Fast!