Thursday, June 05, 2008

Little Fence Eater

Sometime between yesterday morning and this morning Maddie, our three year old boxer mix pup, decided that since sticks taste so yummy that fence slats ought to be pretty good too.

OY!

This is what I saw when I opened the blinds in Kaylen's room this morning. A hole chewed in the bottom of a fence board. She also has managed to loosen another board a couple down from this one. This dog and her affection for all things wood is going to drive me batty! I'm glad she isn't (yet) attacking anything wood in the house (thank goodness for a crate trained dog. She isn't left unattended in the house for any length of time) but this is getting downright crazy.

Not just because she is eating the fence but seriously? How much wood can a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood. Or in this case - how much wood can Maddie ingest before we are needing to look into a clinical laboratory service? Seriously. We don't need a vet bill because the dog likes to eat wood.

*sigh*

We'll be taking a trip to Home Depot to buy replacement fence boards tonight or tomorrow. Until then, I have blocked access to the area. Let's hope she can channel her energy in a more productive manner.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Ok, quick stick eating dog story. Andra, our first Malamute loved chewing on sticks too. One day we heard her yelping and crying in backyard. We went running. WELL, (ok, kinda gets gross) she injested a stick and it was a Y shaped one....well, it was trying to come out the opposite way!! Yep, the open two stick end was trying to come out first. YIKES!! See what you may encounter soon!!! heeheheeheee!!

Mimi said...

My girlfriend that I worked with had a Doberman.....she came home from work to find her dinnerroom table only had TWO legs left...I thought it was funny she didn't.....after that the dog got caged when they left until he was around three....

Kristen said...

Rosie eats sticks. Good thing we have a big sycamore that keeps her in good supply. She's never chewed up the fense (knock on wood) but loves all other things wood.

Monogram Queen said...

Hmmm I wonder what you can do to discourage this?

Anonymous said...

OH NO!!! This is the reason I don't want a puppy, but a one year old, but then I'll have to wonder what kind of treatment he got before I adopted him. There is no perfect scenario.