Monday, July 02, 2007

Pity Party

Apparently I'm having a pity party today - I am just so dang crabby. Sure, some of the reasons are justifiable (see previous post from today) and yet, does that really give my license to be grumpy? Well - even if it doesn't, I am. So there.

I was just looking out the front window and I noticed that the mail truck was at the mailboxes. I don't know how mail comes to your house but in our neighborhood, they put in these mailboxes that look more like lockers in a locker room and everyone has to trek to the block of mailboxes to retrieve their mail. For us, it's no big deal since it's on the edge of our property but I do feel sorry for the people who have to walk up eight houses to get their mail every day. It's a bit crazy, if you ask me.

When I was a kid, the mailman would walk up our front walk and slide the mail through the mail slot in our front door. As I grew up, the powers that be decided that wasn't ideal and everyone was required to install an actual mailbox on their porch. Those Mailboxes actually worked
out fine since it was still delivered to your front door area.

The first house Dakota and I bought had its mailbox across the street and down a couple houses. I thought that was a pain but even so, there were only 6 boxes in a clump so no one had to walk all that far for their mail (though it sure felt like a good long distance some days). Then we moved here and the mail is delivered into these locked vaults which only open with your key. It's so weird how my mail delivery system has changed from personal to under lock and key. I'm not a fan. I would love to have my mail delivered to a box on my porch. For some reason, that just resonates better with me and sometimes I feel a bit envious that there are still places out there who have personal home delivery. Though I suppose it doesn't matter much (which is actually the point of this long rambling post) since we rarely ever get personal mail. Personal cards and letters seemed to have gone by the wayside. Except for Christmas cards, birthday cards and recently, condolence cards we never receive cards or letters and yet for some reason, I get this giddy child-like feeling every time I see the mail truck. It's as if I have eternal hope that when I go out there and unlock my mailbox there will be a letter full of the goings on in a friends life or a card that someone sent "just because". Instead, it's 99% junk mail that goes right into the recycle bin. I guess I should stop complaining and just be happy it isn't 99% bills. :)

But still - to me, mail has lost its sparkle. It's just not as much fun as it was when I was a kid.

Man I need an attitude adjustment today. :)

7 comments:

Perrin said...

Sorry to hear about your gray day. I forgot all about your nose when I saw you Saturday. Bummer about that too. The car thing is really a drag. If you are the drinking type, sounds like a good night to crack a bottle of wine.

Casey said...

If only I were a drinking person....because that sounds like a great plan!

Brenda said...

A glass of wine usually solves all problems...okay not really, but it would bring a smile to your face...:o)

Brenda said...

A glass of wine usually solves all problems...okay not really, but it would bring a smile to your face...:o)

Casey said...

Brenda: And since you said that twice, I'm going to assume that you are enjoying a bit of wine tonight yourself. :) :) :) :) You know I love ya! :)

Sadly, I'm not a big drinker so no wine for me but chocolate chips? I've had a couple handfuls today. :)

Monogram Queen said...

I hope you are feeling better Hon.

Ah you brought back childhood memories of the mail sliding through the mail slot and our poodle barking her head off LOL

I loved that house. It was built in the 1800's and had an iron/twisty doorbell and big skeleton keys in each door.

Mieke said...

Ice cream always makes me feel better if I can't have a glass of wine or gentle fruity drink.

Elise and I were just talking about mail. She sent me a card for my birthday back in March. I loved it so much. The only things that ever come in the mail these days are bills so getting a card is extra wonderful. After receiving her card I decided to always send cards for birthdays - she just got hers from me.

I hope you are not as blue tonight as you were when you wrote this.