Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Big Week for Kelton

It's been a big week for my boy. School supply lists were available on Saturday so we went school supply shopping. It was fun to pick out all his stuff (even though it's not really "his stuff" everything goes into big containers and is basically "communal" which I go back and forth on having an issue with but - it is what it is.) There is something so intoxicating about school supplies - Dakota feels it, I feel it and I'm proud to say, my kids feel it. :) New crayons and paints and scissors. Pencils, pens and erasers. Fun!


He ended up with a Spider Man backpack (which is no surprise to me) and Transformer tennis shoes. I am still going to get him a new pair of Crocs since really those are his main footwear. I found really great ones that I am going to save up for. I think they will make him (and me) happy. They are Crocs with Mickey shaped holes. I think they are so incredibly fun.

And as a PSA (public service announcement) let me share with all of you parents of not-yet-school-aged-kids that the back to school rows are a gold mine of art supplies. Elmers glue for $0.20 a bottle, Crayola 24 count crayons for $0.20 a box. Paints, papers, scissors, binders, etc all cheaper than you will find them the entire rest of the year. Since Kelton was one year old Dakota and I have hit the back to school sales and restocked every art supply known to man. It just makes sense so check out those rows and if you see things your little one (or you) will use during the year, or you think you may use during the year, - stock up! Just a handy mommy tip for you. :)

Kelton's day camp is going really well. He woke me up at 6:05AM asking if it was time to go yet. I took that as a very good sign. He learned a couple new games yesterday so the kids and I spent a few hours in the yard playing - it was really fun. Today he came home with a silly song that Kaylen and I picked up right away and have been singing ever since. So, so much fun!

He had a project to do at home this week for sharing time on Friday. He was to make a poster of his favorite pet (oh which one to choose?) and then tell his group all about the pet at sharing time. He picked Jordan, our dalmatian. I took some pictures of him with Jordy yesterday and then this afternoon we took a trip to the craft store to buy poster board and various scrap book supplies (I'm sure it surprises no one who knows me in real life that the "due at the end of the week" project is done by the second day. *grin*). Except for wanting help with gluing the pictures onto the board, he did it all himself (well - I helped him spell Jordan's name but he handled getting the stickers and putting them on the board). He was so darn cute sitting at the table working on his "homework". Kaylen, of course, had to get into it too so at the store I bought her some duck related stickers and pink cat ribbon (she loves all things duck and pink). Their projects are so cute. :)









13 comments:

Dakota said...

Adorable! He did such a great job. I am so proud of him (and Kaylen, too, of course)!
- Other Proud Mama

Perrin said...

Looks like Kelton is going to do great in Kindergarten. I love school supplies too and the deals can't be beat. I admit I got a little high myself at Freddie's yesterday buying new pens and notebooks for me. :-) And for school too.

Sheri said...

They both did such a great job! I think they've got some of Momma Casey's scrapbooking genes. I wish I could be a "fly on the wall" when Kelton presents on Friday :-)

Casey said...

Dakota: :)

Perrin: I think he is going to do great, too. He is ready, that's for sure. We're actually sitting here in the kitchen playing school right now. :) I wonder what it is about school/office supplies that gets us all giddy. :)

Sheri: They did do really well, didn't they? I'm sure the scrapbook pages had a big influence since he is always asking if he can make a page. As for what he will say...this is what I just got from him: "This is my friend Jordan. He loves to snuggle with me. He is my best pet ever. That's all."

Brenda said...

Sounds like Kelton is having fun! I agree with Sheri on Kelton having your scrapbooking genes!

SJayneI said...

Adorable! I can't wait until ours are old enough for that kind of stuff!

Audra said...

how cute!!!

I've been stocking up on those sales every year since college!!!

I also love putting together "arts and crafts baskets" (crayons, markers, safety scissors, homemade coloring book tailored to that kids interests) every year for the younger kids in my family. I love coloring and crafty stuff, and so do kids, so I am able to give a neat gift and save me a fair bit of cash when it's all so cheap!

Casey said...

Brenda: LOL! I don't know about that.... :)

sjaynei: It is so much fun! :)

Audra: Great idea - I jus tmight have to steal it. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so behind. My son also starts KG this year and I haven't even looked at the supply list. Must do that tomorrow!

Heidi

momtothreeboys said...

Well, you already know how I feel about school supplies... ;-)

And I love just thinking that soon I'll have THREE to buy for. Ahhhhhh, that sweet smell of Staples.

It's an illness I tell ya!

SassyFemme said...

Oh he did such a good job!

I'm the same way with school supplies, even though I'm on the teacher end of things.

Lynilu said...

Good pictures! Now, did I read that right? Dakota got new crayons and paints and scissors, too??? Well Yay, Dakota!! LOL! It's OK, Dakota, I think I still get excited about those things, and I'm a whoooooole lot older than you!

Monogram Queen said...

Cute! I love both projects. Y'all rock. I love school supplies too. Something about an unused tablet of paper, newly sharpend pencils. Ahhh.......