Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Getting Out of Dodge

That's the thought and desire of the day. Both Dakota and I just want to escape from life for a while. Easier said than done considering it's summertime and hotter than hell here. Everyone is flocking to the coast so the only rooms we can find costs an arm and a leg and well....I know I don't need to, again, mention the lack of savings due to all the chaos in the past few months.

It's not like we need to stay somewhere like swanky Las Vegas Luxury Condos. Just a decent room with some beds. A coffee maker would be nice, too.

Dakota is searching from her work desk and I have spent time searching from here. We may have found something but now there are the details of someone to take care of the animals and figuring out how we can afford to swing it. *sigh*

It shouldn't be this hard. In fact, it seems like a fair trade for the universe to give us at this time. Yeah, I know. Who ever said life was fair. I get that but I also know that the human spirit can only take so much.

Time to breathe, to reconnect, to just be (well - as well as you can do all that with two small children in tow) is all we are asking. Doesn't seem like all that much to me.

And while I'm on the "not fair" bandwagon...I have heard from countless people how when there is a death in the family the casseroles arrive by the truckload. I'm just hear to say that we have had two deaths in as many months and I have yet to see food land on my doorstep (except for those amazing flower cookies that S sent to me!). I'm just saying.....a night when we didn't have to worry about menu planning, cooking and cleaning up would be really nice. It just seems like we both have this huge weight on us and dinners have become this albatross around our necks. So....since it isn't fair that we aren't getting food to comfort us it just seems right that we should have a weekend get-away to feed our souls.

I'm just saying.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the perfect thing to do, i know when my father passed in Feb this year we went in April to Walt Disney World just to get away for a week. It is well worth it.

Monogram Queen said...

Honey in the South you are inundated with food. I'm sorry they are dropping the ball with you. I hope you do get the get-away. I know what you mean about "needing it". I'm trying to swing a week at the Beach but have to wait until next week to do the Deposit and i'm so stressed the house will go to someone else. Oh well, whatever will be, will be. Keep us posted on your plans!

Lynilu said...

Oh, girl, feeding the soul is what makes life livable. Get away! And just let go ..........

Unknown said...

Oh, Casey, I'm so sorry MC didn't step up with meals for you. I swear sometimes people can be so obtuse (and I mean ME, not others, to clarify) when it comes to knowing how to handle things - especially when some may not yet have been through something similar. I totally owe you a meal :) 'Cause you are right; dinners are the worst hassle when you are overwhelmed...Enjoy the coast!

yankeegirl said...

Casey- I'd send my signature Mac-n-cheese (kid friendly and yummy too!), but I don't think it travels well. :(
Here's some ((hugs)).
Take the kids and get out of town!
try and relax a little. The stuff you're worried about will still be there when you get back!

Froggymama said...

You guys deserve some time away. What a year. And if we lived close I'd make you an Iowa casserole - like corn pudding, tuna casserole or this amazing potato casserole my grandma makes that has about a pound of butter! Yum, these dishes can heal all. Ya just need carbs in times like these. I hope your family gets some r & r soon.

Casey said...

Heather: Disney World sounds like so much more fun! Hard to think about anything else besides Disney there. :)

Patti_Cake: Hope you can swing your beach getaway. :)

Lynilu: Will do.

Nikki: You're off the hook since you're overdue with baby #3 and all. :) But I think you're right...people in our circles are not indocterinated as to what to do for people who have deaths in their immediate family. Sad, really. :( Happy Baby to you!

YankeeGirl: Too true!

FroggyMama: Yum. Carbs. Yes, definitely what I am craving. :)