Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A New Day, A New Perspective

First things first, my sister came through her surgery in half the time it was supposed to have taken. Pathology reports still need to come back but the doctor feels very good that all is well. When I last had a report (10:30 last night) she was in a great deal of pain but was on a pain medication pump delivery meds every six minutes. I'm sure it won't be an easy recovery but the waiting, wondering and stressing over the surgery itself is over and now she can work towards healing.

Secondly; the bee guy came back this morning. He took the "big guns" stuff down there and fumigated. He found a second nest that had gone undetected the first time. He said it had been very active and noisy down there when he first got there but by the time he left, it was growing significantly quieter. So now we wait 10 more days to see if all activity stops. If it does, we're good to screen it in and move on with life. It there are still bees, they guy will come back. Let's hope this is the end of the bee problem.

Thirdly: my car. I got a phone call about 4:30 yesterday. The guy said "How are you?" to which I replied. "I'm really hoping I'm good and that I'll stay that way." He laughed and said "Well........."

*GULP*

But....they couldn't actually find anything wrong with the a/c system. They had been running it for hours (bye bye tank of gas) and had driven it around and it was registering 39 degrees when the a/c was running. Just like a car, don'tcha think? Never act up when it's AT the shop! :) So we went over to pick it up. Dakota and the kids dropped me off and left. I went into the office, heard all they had to say about there being nothing wrong and then was ushered to my running car. When I got it I noticed immediately that it was NOT cold. I looked at the guy and said "So are you telling me that this is as cold at the a/c is supposed to run?" He started saying it was and he reached his hand in to feel the vent. He pulled his hand back, looked at me and said "Just a second." He called over the guy who had been working on it and said "It's not as cold as it has been." That guy got the temp gauge, placed it in the vent and said "What's this about? I tried all day to get it to not be cold. I kept saying to myself 'what does she want? To have ice cubes spit at her?' Let me take a look" I just stood there feeling VERY vindicated.

The upshot is the compressor and entire system is in perfect shape (Thank God!) but it appears the electrical switch that controls the things staying on is on the blink. It just randomly decides to shut itself off. They have to order a new switch thingy and will call me when it's in so I can take the car back to have it installed. Until then, it's a crap shoot as to whether I will have a/c at any given moment. Ugh. I'm not sure how much all this will cost but I'm betting a couple hundred but considering yesterday I was bracing for it to cost another grand or more, I'm feeling better about it. At least until they call with their price quote.

Tomorrow is the 4th. I don't know about your neighborhood but by nightfall I'm already feeling like I live in some war torn country. Sheesh! It's loud and frankly, I can't wait for the fireworks and whatnot to be over. I am, however, looking forward to the family time and the bbq with Dakota's mom and step-dad. Dakota is planning to take Thursday off as well and I am pretty excited about that, too. I've never really understood why fireworks, etc run so late on the 4th and then people have to be back at their jobs early the next morning. Wouldn't it make more sense to make it a two day holiday? Of course, I think the same goes for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. :) I'm greedy about time off....paid, of course! :)

3 comments:

Holly said...

I am very excited about fireworks tonight - we'll see how Andrew handles it! But you are very right, it should be a 2 day holiday. How much fun can you have at a BBQ tomorrow knowing you have to get up for work the next day?!!?

Sorry about the car issues. It is some vindication that they problem did occur right in front of the service guys! That NEVER happens to me.

Not having a/c with kids in the car is not fun. Hope it's all corrected very soon!

Until then, I hear the windblown look is in!

Heidi said...

Love. love. love the car story. I so have had that happen to me at a shop. They look at you like you are nuts. So cool that it stopped working right after they told you it was fine!!

Glad it's a better day for you!

Happy 4th to you, Dakota and the kids.

Heidi

Monogram Queen said...

Yep i'm with you on the 2 day off thing too *yawn*

Hope you get the A/C working pronto and painlessly for your wallet!