Monday, July 30, 2007

Camp Kiddo

This morning Kaylen and I dropped Kelton off for his first day of Camp Kiddo, a day camp run through the school district to help get kids ready for kindergarten. He was bouncing off the walls with excitement.

Once he was settled with his group (5 kids and a teacher) Kaylen and I came back home. I've always known that Kelton has a huge personality but I don't think I realized how much it totally filled the house. It's so quiet and empty feeling here right now - even though Kaylen is in the living room watching Barney. It's just so darn obvious that someone is missing. It reminds me of being a kid and having a sibling at sleep-away camp. The house always felt "off". It makes me kind of sad to have him gone. I'll pick him up in two hours but from where I sit right now, it's been a very strange and long first hour.

The schedule for the week looks fun. I think he is going to have a great time and I am over the moon happy that he wanted to go (and I was thanking my lucky stars that he wasn't the child screaming their heads off at drop off. Considering how preschool went, it really could have gone either way once we were there.) I can clearly see that he has changed so much from last fall. He's ready for this. I, however, am not. I've been having some stress/anxiety issues lately and I have a feeling it's related to school starting in a few weeks. *sigh*

It's hard to let them grow up sometimes. I do know though that, as a parent, my job is to prepare my babies to leave me. That is what it's all about - giving them the skills and tools to become independent adults. It's not so much that we are raising children - we are actually raising adults. Odd.

Here are a couple pictures of my happy boy:

2 comments:

Brenda said...

How did Kelton's first day go? I'm sure he loved it.

Monogram Queen said...

Awww best of luck to Kelton at his new camp and with school too! Big boy! I'll totally be the Mom dressed in camo hiding behind trees/bushes spying when Maddie starts kindergarten. I break into a sweat just thinking about it!