Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Loss Come in Three's

It's been a month of loss for many of us with dogs in our lives. The month started out with losing Jordan. About week later, a friend of mine had to say goodbye to her dog. Then, this past weekend, my good friend Stella, said goodbye to her pupster. All had loved long, happy lives but just the same, saying goodbye is never easy. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like the absolute pure love of an animal.

"They" say things comes in three's. I hope this is it for a while.

My friend, Stella, lives in North Carolina. In October of 2001, when I was pregnant with Kelton, Dakota and I made a trip to visit her. It was an amazing week - one I recall often and fondly. I was introduced to sweet tea, grits, southern life, friends from across the United States and, of course, Stella's dog. Ironically, Stella's dog was named Dakota though he was well known by his nickname (well earned in his puppy years) of DakotaDevilDog.

Stella and I have been emailing back and forth for days now and in my email yesterday, I received a photo of me with DakotaDevilDog that she had come across. It brought tears to my eyes. I know how very deeply my friend is grieving for her furry child and I would give oh so very much to have one of those Travel Agent Jobs so that I could fly for free and hang out with her for a few days.

I'm thinking of you, Stella, and wishing you love and peace. He was an amazing furry soul.

No comments: