Thursday, January 12, 2012

Back in MY day......

It seems that music can be stored in all sorts of manners these days; CD's, ipods, mp3 players, heck - even on our phones. I find it kind of amazing when my kids just take for granted the ease of listening to their music.

When I was a kid *cue violins' please*, you had two options for music: the radio or the hi-fi. Yes, I said it. Hi-Fi. It's what my parents called it. Of course, they called the couch a davenport, too. And a kitchen counter? A drainboard. But I digress.

I remember in the early 80's when CD's where just arriving on the scene. A friend of mine was going crazy moving into the land of this new technology but I was standing firm in my "records are the way to go" frame of mind. I mean really! Those little discs would never take off. Records had been around forever!

But take off they did. Soon my records were obsolete. Remember "mixed tapes"? You would find songs you liked and put a bunch of them together on a cassette tape and give it to the person you liked - sort of a musical love letter. Now, in order to make a "mixed tape". you need to do some fancy cd replication.

Or heck - make a playlist, upload it, download it and presto! It is in the possession of your beloved.

How times change. I was just thinking the other day of the things that have come to light in my lifetime: calculators, microwaves, cordless phones, video tapes, answering machines, VCR's, DVR's, CD's, DVD's, cell phones, computers, electric cars, etc. It's really quite mind blowing.

And I need to stop now because I am feeling really, really, really old.

Geritol, anyone? :)

1 comment:

kerry said...

I remember listening to the radio to catch the song you wanted to record to your cassette tape and how upset you would get if someone came in the room and started talking because it recorded it too.

Now all we have to do is use the you tube mp3 converter for a song we really want. Our kids have no idea how crazy it was back then...