Monday, July 20, 2009

Summer Weekend, Part 3

What can I say? We squish a lot into our days. :)


let's see - where was I? Oh right - after the birthday party we stopped by home and picked up Kelton's DS and pokemon cards and then drove him the 5 blocks to his friends house. After dropping him off we went to the store to pick up a few things that we needed. Among other things, I hit the Back to School rows and gathered fun stuff to keep them busy for 2 hours 15 minutes on our trip to see my family at the end of the week. We also picked up "car treats" which is just fun foods for them to snack on during the drive.

After we finished up there we headed home to put stuff away and then, much to Kaylen's delight, it was time to play in the crazy daisy sprinkler with Dakota! Oh my goodness the fun those two silly rabbits had.





I left to go retrieve the prodigal son and then all four of us enjoyed some backyard fun time. Dakota and Kelton sprayed each other but good so all three were dripping wet messes but boy was it nice to hear happy laughter from my entire family.

It wasn't long before Dakota started up the BBQ and made us all a delicious dinner. It actually felt like summer to me - the smell of good food, a drink in my hand, my beautiful wife, happy children, and eating on the patio. I have to keep reminding myself that there are more of these summer days to come - and soon!

The evening didn't end on quite the happy note though - poor Kaylen ended up getting hurt by all of us. :( After dinner the kids played while I cut Dakota's hair. For some reason, both kids thought it would be great fun to stand on the teeter-totter toy. I said it was a bad idea. I asked them to stop but I guess it's one of those things they choose to learn the hard way. *sigh* At first Kaylen jumped off and they both fell to the ground laughing. Then came Kelton's turn to jump off.....and Kaylen flew forward and smashed her face into the handle on the teeter totter.

My poor girl! Luckily no real harm was done and ice made her feel better. Then, as Dakota was helping her brush her teeth she somehow got positioned over the sharp corner on the counter and it jabbed her in the tummy. Oh the tears! Then...while trying to get her back into a semi-decent mood, she decided it would be fun to close the door and block me into a room. I played "big bad wolf" and tried to huff and puff and well...on one of the puffs I nudged the door too hard and it hit her in the head.

I'm pretty sure she had thoughts of calling a Morristown personal injury lawyer after all that. :( We all felt terrible that she ended her day that way. Poor girl.

After the kids were in bed, Dakota and I enjoyed some much needed grown-up time - complete with a big bowl of ice cream! At least *we* know how to end a hot summer day. :)

No comments: