Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Heart Breaker

I took the kids to vacation bible school this morning and as I was signing them in Kaylen looked at me and said "Don't take me to my room. I'll go by myself." I told her that I was sure she could but that I would walk with her anyway. She started shoving me toward the doors leading to the parking lot and said "No - I'll go by myself."

"No - I'll take you."

The camp staff were watching this unfold and I could hear giggles and talk of "Ooooh...isn't she adorable." and "What a sweetheart!" and "They grow up fast, don't they?"

I said goodbye to Kelton and he walked off to join his group and then I started walking toward Kaylen's classroom only to be told yet again that she didn't need me.

Didn't need me? At four? Already?

I stood my ground and walked her to her room but she refused to let me past the door. She turned and said "You can go now."

*sigh*

I kissed her and said "Have fun!" and just like that she was gone.

I love that she is self-assured. I just hate that she is pushing me away already. Where did my leg clinging daughter go? I know it means I'm doing right by her but I swear to you - with all my heart I want to scoop her up and hold her back.

But I don't. And I won't.

She is amazing.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I remember times like that with my kids. You're hurt but at the same time proud of the big kids they are becoming. Sounds like you're doing a great job with both of them.

Lydia Russell said...

Lol! I just found your blog through Froggy Mama's.

I had to reply here because my two chatter-boxes, especially my almost 6 year old son is becoming increasingly independent. It makes me so sad sometimes that he wants to be "alone". But, it's all normal. Gosh, though. Two years ago, I couldn't leave the room.