Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday

It's Friday already. How did that happen? The week has absolutely flown by which I guess is what happens when your day is broken down in to three hour increments of drop off, pick up, lessons, dinner and bedtime. It's been crazy to be sure but it's been good.

The kids have loved vacation bible school and it has sparked some good conversations this week. I can't help but think how far Kelton has come since last year when he wouldn't be ready for me to leave for about 15 minutes after arriving at the church. This year it was quick good-byes and rushing out of sight. Kaylen, of course, has been Miss. Independent. This morning she was much more clingy at drop off but still - with a few extra hugs and kisses, she was on her way. She, more than Kelton, is completely exhausted after her week. She's been having trouble falling asleep so she isn't getting as many Zzzzzzz's as normal which is definitely showing.

Last night was family fun night for VBS which was a lot of fun. The highlight was a slide show of the week which I loved! Seeing the kids having fun in both movie clips and still shots was great and I loved how excited both kids would get when they saw themselves or friends.

Another fun part was when the groups got up to perform their group cheer (which the kids came up with on day 1 and honestly - we're pretty funny) and then sing a song. Kelton's group sang "I like to chew my gum with God" which is a super silly song with a great message.

I made a few short movie clips on my camera but I sure was wishing I had one of those new small fancy camcorders to capture it all. (We have a camcorder but it's 8 or 9 years old and is HUGE compared to those teeny tiny ones they have now. It mostly collects dust since our cameras have the movie feature. Still....not the same as having a full tape of movies ready to go. Maybe someday we'll look into getting a new one.)

After that, the kids made bookmarks and enjoyed ice cream. I was able to talk with some folks (some I met last year and a couple others go to Kelton's school and recognized me which was a nice connection to have). Dakota (who moved heaven and earth yesterday to get home in time to see them at their swimming lessons, have dinner and then go to the church with us before coming home to hunker down with her studies until 10pm) and Kaylen left around 7:10. Kelton wanted to hang out with "the dudes" (camp counselors and old volunteer kids from the church) for a bit so he and I left for home at 7:30pm.

It's been a good week - lonely for me at times (it's weird to be home without the kids) but really good.

Singing with his group.

Making bookmarks

No comments: