Monday, July 06, 2009

July 4th

I hope everyone had a safe and wonderful 4th of July and that you spent it doing exactly as you wanted to do. We usually host a 4th of July afternoon/evening BBQ for Dakota's side of the family but this year we didn't because...well..because there just wasn't time with Dakota needing to study all day for the bar review class she is taking. Not to mention the stress of hosting probably would have thrown us both right over the edge of whatever sanity is keeping us from jmping. I missed getting together with the family so I was really glad when, after Kaylen and I returned from picking up Kelton (he spent a couple days with his cousin who lives 2 hours away), Dakota said her mom had called and she and her step-dad were going to come over for a BBQ.

Sure- it wouldn't be the usual "foodfest" that a family gathering brings but still - I really like her mom and step-dad and seeing them was a perfect way to make the day seem more special. And, as an added bonus, I wouldn't need to start reading fat burner reviews after eating way, way, way too much good food. :)

Don't be fooled though - there was still plenty of good food. Hamburgers, chips, potato salad, coleslaw and corn on the cob. But more than the food - the conversation was excellent. It's nice to step out of the mommy and "partner to someone studying for the bar" roles and just be me for a few hours.

After dinner Dakota's folks headed home and we set about waiting for darkness to fall so we could enjoy the fireworks which dominate the neighborhood. I read some more of my book while Dakota and the kids watched Monsters,Inc. And then finally - it was dark enough to head back outside......into the heat! Boy was it still hot out there!

We hung out in the front yard and let the kids do party popper "fireworks" and then we watched as the neighborhood exploded around us. I have to say, I do enjoy the huge displays that shoot up high enough to be seen for blocks and blocks. All the excitement of the 4th without a penny of the cost. You just have to love that!

So whatever you did, and however you celebrated, I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July.

No comments: