Friday, February 20, 2009

Locked In

This morning I sent the kids to the bathroom to brush their teeth while I washed the breakfast dishes. I heard chattering going on but didn't really pay much mind until I heard something that caught my attention. I couldn't even tell you what is was right now but it was enough to make me shut off the water and ask "Does Kaylen need something?"

I heard back "Kaylen is locked in the bathroom." from Kelton.

And then I heard what must have been what I heard to start with.....quiet crying which hinged on the verge of growing louder.

"KELTON LOCKED ME IN HERE!"

I went to the bathroom door and asked her to try to unlock the handle. The crying became hysterical. "I can't!" she sobbed.

I went to find the screw driver which I knew could pop open the door. But I am out of practice. When Kelton was three I did monthly unlock drills on the bathroom door. When he was four and locked Kaylen in my bedroom, I realized I should have practiced on my bedroom door, too.

Today I realized that if you don't practice picking locks, you lose your skill. Use it or lose it. Bummer.

The crying continued with little fingers poking out from under the door. I held her tiny fingers for a couple of seconds and then tried to get her to calm down. Finally...finally she grew quiet enough that she could hear me. I had her look at the handle and then told her to move the circle with the line it in so it went straight across. A couple tries later she got it and the door opened.

While I comforted Kaylen I was plotting my revenge deciding what discipline road I would take.

I decided to have Kelton do a few chores (because I had wasted time when I could have been doing things to get Kaylen free) and then he had to play whatever games Kaylen wanted to play until it was time for the bus (I have declared Friday morning "homework free" time which means it's his one free morning to do what he wants before school. It's a cherished treat for him so it was a big deal to lose it.). They played Cooties and the new Sorry game (Kaylen got to go first for each game - it was only fair - which was really hard for Mr. I'm Always First Because I Say So.) and then it was time for the bus. Kaylen became all misty and said "But he hasn't played ballerina yet!"

I was not quite over being ticked off at him so I calmly said "It's time for school now but when he gets home tonight he *will* play ballerina with you." That was met with groans galore from the lock-happy boy child. I just looked at him and said "Remember this next time you feel like locking your sister in a room."

And yes, he had to play ballerina with her. But because she is much nicer than me, she didn't make him wear a ballet outfit.* :)

*Kidding....kind of.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

What a stinker!! I LOVE his "punishment" though - having to play ballerina. LOVE THAT!! ;)

Jen said...

That is brilliant! Nice!

SJayneI said...

Your discipline of Kelton reminds me of the book, 'You Can't Make Me'. It's awesome! Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh! I love the punishment!


Heidi

Shannon said...

Oh poor Kaylen. I remember being locked in the bathroom when I was about her age and I was so scared. I love the punishment too. I'm sure he'll remember it. :)

Unknown said...

Just remind her of how much she hated this moment when she's 14 and has purposefully locked herself in the bathroom to preen for hours on end :)

Glad Mommy-Casey saved the day yet again.

Stacey said...

good punishment! we put new handles on our doors and for the locking ones, we made sure they have a line on the outside that allows you to just use a screw driver to turn it if necessary. for that very reason. :P