Saturday, February 14, 2009

100 Days of School

Kelton came home with a bunch of homework for his 4 days weekend and among all the papers was the assignment to make a display of some sort to mark the 100th Day of School, which is this coming Wednesday. I noticed last year that schools really have come to embrace what they call a "milestone". I'm not sure I would call it that but whatever. Maybe some day someone will explain the significance of this mark. Is it akin to "the first 100 days in office"? :)

Anyway - Kelton's assignment was to come up with a collection of things totaling 100. It could be stickers, pennies, marshmallows, etc. The choice was his to make.

We talked it over and he hit upon what I think was a great idea - 100 pictures of Kelton. As a group, all the photos have a common link; Kelton is in each and every one.

This morning I ran out and picked up a small photo book that holds exactly 100 photos and then Kelton and I got down the business. I pulled out photo albums, starting with Kelton's birth, and Kelton went through them all (and there were a LOT of albums!) and carefully selected 100 photos. Well - to be fair, we had 2002 to February 2005 in real photos and 2005 to current in digital on the computer because yes, I am terrible about printing out hard copies of photos. I'm not even sure where we would put more photo albums. I have years of photos on an external hard drive so I loaded what we needed on a flash drive and then printed out.

He selected quite a few from his first year but he had strict requirements: no naked pictures, no diaper only pictures and no pictures of him with his binky. A tall order to be sure.

We did it though and the finished book is something he is very proud of. I think it was a clever 100 Day Collection - and I hope his teacher will too.


(This is the cover page I made for the book. I think it's pretty fun. :) )

9 comments:

One Boys Mom said...

I think the big deal is that when they teach math...it's all about grouping. They've counted the days and they get to move to the hundreds place - woo hoo! I'm thinking that's the case because when I did my observation in elementary, counting the days and re-grouping (when possible) was part of the daily "calendar activity".

I sent Declan's backpack to Seattle with him...I hope they're dealing with that :)

Kristen said...

cute idea

Unknown said...

What a completely original and great idea for his 100 project! Great job! Jeri

Mimi said...

Please tell me you are burning the pictures to a cd???? if something hppens to the pc you will LOSE all of the pictures......great idea I would never of thought of that

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! My son (Lukas James) also had his 100 day celebration at school a couple weeks ago and he cut out 100 pics of himself and put them on a poster. All of the kids had to put their 100 things on a poster because they go marching around the school from class to class like a parade for all to see. Anyhow- some kids glued coins or stickers but Lukas did pictures. I laughed when Kelton did the same! Miles apart but our lives are so the same!!

Heidi

Melanie said...

I love that he thought of it himself. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Shannon said...

That's really cool and a great idea.

I don't remember ever celebrating the 100th day of school but it seems to be something they do now. Kim's brother is a teacher and for the 100th day of school this year he invited a friend of his family, Mrs. Ferguson who is over 100 years old, to the classroom. The kids thought that was cool and so did she!

Anonymous said...

I love the photo idea. M wanted to take what would amount to a "small" selection of his vast animal collection (plastic), but the teacher said these items would remain in the classroom, not to return home. Not sure what becomes of n x 100 items brought each year. We eventually decided on 50 tiny rabbit erasers, accompanied by 1 carrot for each hungry rabbit.

We also had to make a shirt with 100 items on it and, because I'm already going to be there for a meeting, I have volunteered to help with the math activities that afternoon. I hope they're more cooperative than my own 4th and 5th graders.

Mel

Monogram Queen said...

Awesome! I love that 100 thing! I love his requirements for the pics too! hehe....