Thursday, February 12, 2009

Is it just me?

Is it just me or are other people noticing that in the midst of the financial meltdown going on in the country the cost of living continues to steadily increase? It's the obvious things like food and housewares but this month when I sat down to pay bills I read notices on the garbage and electric bill that the rates went up effective January 1st. Our auto insurance renewed this month and we saw an increase of $1.50 a month there, too.

What is going on? When people are struggling so hard in the country and every week more jobs are lost and more houses enter foreclosure I'm just wondering who is sitting in offices thinking "Hey - I know - let's increase rates!"

Yeah yeah - utility rate increases are usually years in the making but when the saw the state of the country sliding ever downward wouldn't it have been a nice idea to put it on hold for just a bit and see what happens? I'm not sure they are coming out money ahead with the increases because to me it seems like they just made it harder for more people to pay their bills.

I don't know - I don't pretend to know how it all works but I think the timing of the increases could have been thought out a bit more.

I'm just saying.

2 comments:

A Jersey Girl said...

I agree with you! Food prices are insane! And everything else is wacky too! We too had an increase in electric and water!

It would be nice to see a break somewhere!


Emily

Monogram Queen said...

A friend was just griping about her electricity bill being sky-high. Crazy. I am so thankful we can manage but my heart aches for those who cannot.