Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Little Coffee Thief

This afternoon I decided to take a few minutes away from the trillions of things I was working on to finish watching Hot Topics from yesterday's "The View". I heated up a cup of coffee (left over from this mornings pot) in the microwave, let the children know where I would be and then went back to my bedroom to settle in and listen to adult conversation.

It went fine for ...oh I don't know....3 minutes? Then a child came asking for something. I paused the show and went to retrieve the craft project (Shrinky Dinks...in case you are wondering. And if you are my sister or brother, a package or ten of the plastic sheets would make a great gift for Mr. Kelton's birthday. I'm just sayin'.). I settled him in to create and went back to my show for...about a minute. The girl showed up and wanted help with something. I helped her and returned to the show. Then Kelton needed something and then Kaylen again. Just when I was convinced they were settled in for a good 10 minutes, the the phone rang. My co-chair for the book fair calling me back about a question I had. We talked and while doing so Kaylen came into the room. I hushed her and turned my attention back to the phone conversation.

When I was done with my call I settled in to watch more TV and I reached for my cup of coffee that had been on the nightstand. It wasn't there.

That's weird. I shrugged it off thinking I had probably taken it back and forth with me while handling kid requests and most likely had finished it and left it in the kitchen.

I watched the rest of the show (all of 5 minutes) and then went out to help Kelton shrink his art projects. Eventually I ended up in the living room and it was there that I noticed my coffee cup sitting in front of the TV. Perplexed, I said "What is my coffee cup doing in front of the TV?" The response from the wee one made me laugh.

She said "I put it there when I was done drinking it."

"Done drinking it? When did you drink it?" I asked

"I took it from your room when you were talking on the phone. Remember when I came in there?"

Huh. I not only have a pint sized coffee drinker on my hands I also have a coffee thief! And I'm betting there was probably a good half cup full. Sheesh!

10 comments:

Kristen said...

WEEEEE! What time did she go to bed, LOL

Monogram Queen said...

She's like her Momma!!!!

Shannon said...

Ha! That's hilarious. Was she wound up afterwards?

Stacey said...

wow I can't imagine liking coffee as a kid. :P

Mimi said...

You know coffee makes kids on the calm side......Like mother like daughter.....

Tanya said...

J always tries to steal ours too. I have to make him his own "coffee" or we're in trouble.

Lynilu said...

Are there holes where she was bouncing off the walls? ;D

Anonymous said...

I hope you drink it with lots of cream and sugar!

Heidi

Rainbow Momma said...

Oh no! The mother/daughter coffee talks are going to start earlier with this one. LOL!

Kristen said...

Rainbow mommma's comment made me think of Gilmore Girls, which I know you LOVE! You're just getting a head start. And you know your kid is going to be super smart just like rory.