Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Pallid Breath-Holding Spells

I see a freaked a few people out by telling you that Kaylen stopped breathing yesterday while we were at the mall. Sorry about that. She is fine and no, I didn't have to call 9-1-1 or make an ER visit. She has a history of this so while it is terrifying for all who witness it (which I got to thinking of and until yesterday, I don't think anyone besides Dakota and I have seen her do it. Weird. It was such a common occurrence for months and months on end during her first and second years.

She was 11-months old the first time it happened. And that time, you can bet 9-1-1 was called and a trip to the Urgent Care was made. You can read about that horrible afternoon here.

Then, at her one year well-visit, a heart murmur was detected and since she had already been seen for the breath holding spells, we were sent to a cardiologist (post about that visit here). After being scared but good and sent for an echo cardiogram, the news came back as good in the fact that her heart was perfect.

As for the stopping breathing thing, that was diagnosed as Pallid Breathe Holding Spells. Terrifying for the people seeing it and holding the child but harmless for the child. I was really hoping she had outgrown it since it's been months and months since she has gone all the way out (it's been close but she/we could pull her out of it... or maybe we just thought we could because I tried all the things we've done in the past yesterday and nothing worked).

I can't help but think of the mom in the play area who was sitting next to me and saw it all from the side of having no clue what was happening. I can't imagine what it must be like to watch a child, any child, turn blue, their eyes roll back, make a horrible gurgling sound as the air escapes their lungs and then completely collapse. I know what it's like from my side and trust me, it's nothing I would wish on anyone. I also can't imagine what the mother of the baby, who pushed Kaylen off the toy which started this whole thing, must have felt. I can't even tell you for sure that she saw the aftermath. I was solely focused on Kaylen. I don't even know where Kelton was during this time. I thought he saw it all but when talking with him later, it's clear he didn't. I'm glad for that. A child shouldn't see it - especially when it is their little sister.

What triggered Kaylen? My only guess is her hamstring was pulled when she fell from the standing position into the splits position. She doesn't remember beyond "a baby pushed me and I fell and my leg hurt."

So - now you know. And for all of you who wonder why I never take you up on watching the kids, you know why now. :)

13 comments:

Melanie said...

OMG - I would have been just like that poor witness Mom!!! I'm glad you know what to expect, and that everything is fine with her. Is it that she cries to hard and holds her breath at the same time, making her faint??

Casey said...

Melanie: No. It's not tied with with anything other than shock, pain and trauma. She doesn't even cry first. I think she may have whimpered a bit yesterday.

The response is completely involuntary. Her body just shuts down.

Catherine said...

Wow, I didn't know this was still going on with her. I hope she outgrows it soon. Even though you know what to expect, it must be unsettling.

Julie said...

Wow, I've never heard of that. That sounds like a very scary experience. I'm glad to hear she's doing okay.

amy4 said...

OMG - I just read your previous post when she was 11-months old - I couldn't even imagine going through something like that. Thanks for the update- I am so glad that Kaylen is okay. Take good care.

Shannon said...

That must be so scary to experience and especially for people who don't know what's happening. I remember reading about the first time it happened with Kaylen. Terrifying! So good that it's not harmful and is something she'll outgrow.

Stacey said...

Oh wow, that must be scary! Never heard of that!

Monogram Queen said...

Wow I don't remember reading any of that. Scary! Glad she is okay.

Lynilu said...

I have never heard of that, but I'm glad it is not something serious and lasting. Still scary!

Froggymama said...

So good to hear that it's relatively harmless, although it does sound terrifying, even when you know she's fine. Glad she's okay. :)

Unknown said...

Scary would be an understatement. Glad you're educated on the condition. And good thing you blog about it - you can sit Kaylen down to read about it all when she's older and say, "LOOK at all the turmoil you caused!" :)

Vickie said...

My daughter did that as a toddler and seemed to outgrow it, but started having problems in her teens. She was dx with POTS or dysautonomia. I don't want to scare you, but there are some things you can do now to prevent problems later on. Contact me if you want to know what I wish I had known when my daughter was that age!
dinet.org has some good info. The hardest part is finding a Dr. that understands the condition.

Casey said...

Vickie,
I would love to contact you however you didn't leave contact info. I read the website and would like to talk with you. If you see this, please contact me at Caseymduncan@gmail.com

Thanks