Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sharing a Favorite Blog

I have a favorite blog and I wanted to share it (well - I have several but this one stands out for me right now). I've known Fern for almost seven years (we were on the same pregnancy board all those years ago) and while we've never met in real life, we've stayed in touch here and there and kept up with each other. She has a blog and it is a slice of heaven for me. She is honest (brutally so) about ...well...everything. She openly shares the good, the bad and the very ugly about parenting and she never fails to make me feel "something" even if that something is incredibly relieved that I only have two kids to drive me crazy (she has 4...a six year old daughter, twin 3.5 year old boys and a 1 year old daughter...and she is a freelance writer trying to work at home and tend to the little ones). Mostly though - she makes me laugh. I love how bold she is with the truth.

I take issue with people who pretend life is rosy and grand with kids (and yes, I take issue with myself sometimes because I fall prey to the "post only the good stuff so that random and rare person(s) who doesn't understand, or has never been a stay at home mom, or is too far removed from the whole "in the trenches with the kids" thing won't judge me, roll their eyes and think "therapy, woman. Get some therapy because clearly you are an unhappy miserable mess.") because let's face it - life with children is rarely rosy and grand. It's hard work. It's isolating. It's maddening. It's crazy. It's wonderful. It's the best thing and the hardest thing all rolled together in this incredibly messy ball of sweet and sour that children are. And Fern....well she puts fingers to the keyboard and puts it all out there. And I love her for it.

I'm betting you will too. :) Check her out: Candle at Both Ends

PS..Don't leave just yet....keep reading; I posted about the day right below this. You can hop over to Fern's when you are done. Hee hee. :)

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I LOVE Fern and her blog. I love how real she is when she writes. Life is about the ups and the downs and I love how honest she is when writing about being a Mother.

Monogram Queen said...

I need to check Fern out, you know i'm all about the brutal/honesty. Kids are not all rainbows & butterflies their moody, whiney, selfish, annoying little creatures... but we love them anyway!

Jen said...

Oh, you are so nice. Thank you!!!!