Thursday, February 23, 2006

Ok - so this is how the visit to the cardiologist was supposed to go:

We have the EKG and are sent to the specialty clinic to see the cardiologist
The cardiologist reviews the EKG, checks over the baby and says: "I find no evidence of a murmur. Please take your exceedingly healthy baby and go home."
We leave the office happy and carefree.

Did you notice the phrase "supposed to go"? Yeah. So not what we got.

We have the EKG and are sent to the specialty clinic to see the cardiologist
The cardiologist reviews the EKG, checks over the baby, has her medical student check over the baby all the while saying to him "Tell me what you hear." "Now check here - what do you hear here?"

I see Dakota turn a bit pale but I am holding firmly to my "There is nothing wrong. She is just pointing out to him how there is no murmur in this very healthy child."

I boldly say "What are you hearing? The murmur?"
She says "I wouldn't be a very good cardiologist if I didn't hear it."

GULP.

Ok - so the bottom line is Kaylen has two, not just one, murmurs. Still not too problematic since the doc says "They sound like innocent murmurs.....................BUT........."

Oh yeah - there's a but.

The EKG is abnormal. The results indicate an enlarged left side of her heart. It might still be nothing - or it might be something. More testing is needed.

*THUD*

So not what I expected.

Q: Why is she a year old and never had a murmur heard before?
A: She might never have had one before. These might have been brought on by her recent bout with the flu. This might indicate an infection in her heart.

Q: What if her heart is enlarged?
A: Let's cross that bridge when we have more data.

Q: Could this be why she turns a dusky blue color sometimes.
A: Yes. Or no. We'll know more with the echo.

I decide NOT to do internet research. I have, in all my lack of an ability to cope, decided to return to my bubble of denial. Everything is going to be fine. She is too healthy for it to go any other way.

Her echo is scheduled for Tuesday morning (why is it so much more frightening when they can get appointments so quickly? They would have gotten her in tomorrow but we were going to be out of town. The doc had tried to get her in this afternoon in the name of "saving us a trip". Hmmmmm.). We'll know more then. If she cooperates she won't have to be sedated.

Sedated. I really, really don't want her sedated.

So - that would be the update. And now I am zipping back up my bubble and hiding from anything else. I'm telling you - I really, truly can't cope. (Did I mention how I was holding Kaylen and holding Kelton's hand while we crossed a parking lot yesterday when I fell? Oh yeah - my left leg is so gosh darn purty right now. Anyway - a complete stranger came up to help. When she asked if I was ok, I burst into tears and said "No!" So...this absolute stranger in the Wal-Mart parking lot, held my daughter in one arm, gave me a hug with the other and stood there and let me cry on her shoulder. She said "It's hard. I know - it's so hard some days." She isn't just whistling dixie, my friends. But I digress....)

Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip.
*fingers in my ears while I sing "Lalalalalalalalalalalalaa"

D'Nile.....it ain't just a river in Egypt.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Casey! I am so sorry that things didn't go perfectly, but move on over because I am coming into your bubble with you. Ahhh.. it's nice in here. Piper is not nearly as mouthy in here :)

Don't worry about Keylen until they give you something to worry about. And for goodness sakes whatever you do don't go on the internet! I will have to come rip it out of the wall.

Try to have a good weekend away and just take one step ata time. And also remember there are a lot of people that care about you!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! I do know how to spell Kaylen's name...sorry.

Laura said...

Oh Casey, I don't know what to say. Zip yourself up in that bubble for now and hug that sweet girl to you. Taking it one step at a time is a good idea. This could very well be just one of those things that sends you into a mommy panic but in the end is nothing.

Huge, hug hugs to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

em1__mak2 said...

How totally frightening for your family. I know exactly where you are, only my experience was when I was 21 weeks pregnant. There were a whole lot of no answers to be had for an entire WEEK until I could go to the echo at perinatal cardiologist. And then there were months and months of further "tests." Eventually I was somewhat reassured what was going on with Milo's heart was not all that uncommon and would "work itself out," but not having answers and having to wait is the very hardest part. Hopefully Kaylen's echo will reveal only a positive scenario and you can all breathe a deep, deep sigh of relief. Thinking about you as you play the waiting game...

~mel

Anonymous said...

HUGS Casey!

I second Pam's advise. Keep snug in that bubble of yours. There is no need to be concern at this point. She is such a happy and healthy little girl! You have so many people sending their love and positive thoughts your way.

Take care and we'll talk soon!

Anonymous said...

Casey,
We'll be thinking of you guys and Kaylen, I hope that the testing goes smoothly and she doesn't need to be sedated, and of course that the echo is clear. I hope that you are able to have some fun on your trip, if I recall there were more birthday celebrations for Ms. Kaylen planned. I really REALLY hope that life gets less stressful for all of you soon. I'm glad someone was there to give you a hug in the parking lot, but we'll send more virtual ones...
(((((Casey and her family))))))
I wish we lived closer and could help out.
Jennifer

Margaret said...

sendin hugs from here...

peace...

Catherine said...

I am so sorry Casey. That is truely scarey. I am hoping it is nothing. You are in my thoughts.

Estelle said...

Casey... I wish it was better news about Kaylen. I absolutely know about zipping yourself into the bubble and not wanting to come out! It helps to have OTHER people do your googling... it really does. Tons of people were researching Charlie for me at one time, but the one that really helped was Amey. We would give Shar the diagnosis of the week, Shar would pass it on the Amey who would research it to death. She would then pull out the info that she thought we needed to know yet would not scare the shit out of us. It helped. A LOT. She gave us tidbits in chunks we could swallow, without us completely breaking down. I highly recommend it.
I hope that everything turns out fine in the end. It still might.

Caroline said...

I am so sorry to hear about all of this. I was hoping you were going to go to the dr. and get an "all clear". All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

One Boys Mom said...

Yuk, yuk, yuk... I really don't know what else to say Casey. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I'd bury my head in the sand also

Anonymous said...

Oh Casey, I'm so sorry you're having to go through all this. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. I'm sure they'll find it's nothing serious.

PS You Walgreen's parking lot story brought a tear to my eye. Huge hugs!