Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bubble Fest 2008

It's only 1pm but I swear it feels like I've been awake for about two solid days. It's been a busy day that actually, for me, started at 3:30 this morning. That was when Kaylen started having nightmare after nightmare after nightmare. She's been having a good number of them recently and they never fail to make for one tired mommy the next day. And a very tired little girl as well. I asked her why she was having so many last night (not expecting a response) and she looked at me and said "Because you no squirt that smelly stuff on my pillow to make them stay away." Ok then. You can bet tonight her pillow will be well sprayed with lavender spray (it's our "this will help you have good dreams" tactic and well - it does seem to relax them and let them fall asleep faster).

But anyway...we had plans to meet some friends at the park this morning and then from there we went to our neighborhood library for Bubble Fest. It really had potential. I mean, it could have been great but it was a bit on the chaotic side and, thanks to the sun shining in the morning for the first time in about a week, it was packed. The kids managed to have a good time even if they didn't have a chance to visit all the stations or do all of the bubble activities.

The best activity by far was something called "the bubble cup". The took a plastic party cup, punched a hole for a straw to fit through near the top, covered it with a cloth (secured with a rubber band), added dish washing detergent and then sprayed the cloth with water. The kids blew through the straws and like magic the bubbles formed snake-like shapes and cascaded over the sides of the cup. So totally fun - I even had to try it for myself. :)

There were other things like the bubble wall, frozen bubbles, smoke bubbles, bubble station for playing, painting with bubbles, etc.

And you know I took photos. :)













And after the bubble fun, we headed inside to check out a new selection of books. The kids love to have stories read to them which makes racking up the hours for the summer reading program pretty easy. :)

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Aha! Now I know what the Bubble Festival was all about - how did I miss that one? Looks like fun chaos... :)

Catherine said...

Oh, that looks like fun. Robbie loves bubbles.

Sheri said...

Sorry we skipped out this morning. But, my gut told me it'd be chaotic, and I worried that I'd have a clingy child instead of an excited-bubble boy. The 'bubble cup' looks like fun. You did such a great job with the photos, I may just have to try making one.

Monogram Queen said...

Too neat! I love bubbles myself!

Gandksmom said...

Oh my! I haven't been around in a while. Your babies are getting sooo big and are cuter than ever!
Wendy