Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Most Terrifying Hour of My Entire Life

I'm not entirely sure that I am in a state of mind to write this out - the terror is so fresh and every time I close my eyes I see it all over again. When I try to be still for a second, my mind plays out all the scenarios that *could* have happened. Yes, I know they *didn't* happen but it doesn't stop my brain from terrorizing me.

Kaylen, my 11 month old baby girl, and I were playing this afternoon while her big brother snoozed peacefully. She, being the clever girl that she is, invented a new "game" and even though I knew it wasn't the safest of things to be doing I let her because she was having such a great time and I love to hear her laugh. Our couch and loveseat are set up in the traditional L shape with an end table smooshed in at the angle of the L (you know, so you can have a lamp for reading). Anyway.....Kaylen discovered the joys of flinging herself over the arm of the couch, sliding onto the end table, sitting up, looking at me like she just won a gold medal, laughing hysterically and then climbing back to me to start all over again.

I was RIGHT there. I was holding her legs so she couldn't go too fast or fall from the table. But......on about the sixth time of the game something went wrong. I'm not sure exactly what happened - it's blurry in my memory - but she crashed onto the table neck first (chin up). It was a horrible sight. I grabbed her because I knew the tears were coming... except she didn't move from the position her body had landed - her neck was still extended, her eyes had a faraway look to them, her mouth was open but instead of a scream there was nothing but a horrible silence. I tried to get her attention thinking that she was just too scared to cry. No reaction. None. She started turning blue - I tried again. Still nothing - her face was now the color I would imagine comes with death. Then her eyes rolled back into her head and her body fell limp. She wasn't breathing.

I ran, with her in my arms, to the kitchen, grabbed the phone and called 9-1-1. I was crying hysterically because I was absolutely positive in my arms I was holding my dying baby. I was sure she had broken her neck and that she was dying. She was still limp, not breathing. Then she made some gurgling noises - awful, awful sounds. Suddenly it dawned on me that I should have her laying flat incase her neck *was* broken. I am still crying on the phone to the medical dispatcher. The person on the other end of the phone talked me through some things - finally....finally Kaylen started to cry...and then scream....and then flail around a bit. THANK GOD!

The ambulance was mere blocks away, I was told. And yet - it felt like it took a lifetime to arrive. During all this, Kelton woke up and come out to see what was happening. To his credit, he was very together. I asked him to get my cell phone and call Dakota. He did but since it was 4:30pm she was already at school and unreachable. Being my smart boy, he called Brenda. She couldn't really understand why he was saying about calling 9-1-1, the ambulance and baby sister having a blue face so she asked for me. I quickly said the ambulance was there and things were not ok. I'd call later. Meanwhile, Dakota was trying to call us back.

Needless to say, Dakota flipped out and said "I'm on my way!" She called her mom to come over to help.

While that is going on the paramedics are giving my baby a head to toe assessment. She didn't appear to have life threatening injuries so I had a choice - they could take her in the ambulance or I could take her to my peds office. After being reassured a few times that it would be safe to transport her myself, and told that it might be more traumatic for her to be strapped down with all the medical stuff they would have to use, I agreed to take her to the peds office myself.

I signed forms and they left. A quick call to Dakota to let her know where we were going (she would meet us there and she would call her mom and her mom would meet us there) Kelton and I put on our shoes and out the door the three of us went.

We signed in and they took us back to monitor her vitals. After the nurse finished checking her over we returned to the waiting room to wait for the Urgent Care docs to arrive. Finally, we were ushered back and Kaylen was checked out again. I was questioned in depth about how she fell, how she landed, did she scream at all first before passing out, did her body shake before she collapsed, did her eyes move rapidly side to side or stay locked in one position (which would mean seizure), etc. It was exhausting to go over every detail I could remember (and hard to realize I honestly didn't know because I was too freaked out to remember).

Again, we were reassured that babies are incredibly flexible and that she was acting appropriate for her age. PHEW!

We were discharged with the basic instructions for concussion and told to report to the local Children's ER room immediately if she started showing signs on the warning sheet.

Gratefully, we bundled up our daughter and came home. Thankful beyond words that she is healthy and alive.

I will never, ever, ever - not in a million years, forget what her face looked like, what her body felt like or the complete and utter terror I felt when I thought she was dying in my arms. Tonight, while I was nursing her to sleep, I sat rocking her....and crying. And after she had fallen asleep, I held her tight in my arms for a long time, tears still streaming down my face, grateful for my beautiful baby girl.

20 comments:

One Boys Mom said...

Oh Casey. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. It sounds absolutely terrifying. Sending good thoughts your way.

Margaret said...

omg...

hugs to all of you...

peace...

Shawna said...

CASEY!!! the third or the forth time i've teared up tonight!

My boys and I, we LOVE that little girl! and beyond the fear and realization as far as my own kids. I have to say that our lives are so blessed by the little princess and we are SO grateful that she is okay!

We love you guys! Get some rest!

Anonymous said...

OMG Casey! I am getting teary just thinking of what you all must have gone through. No one should ever have to see that look on their baby's face. I am so happy that Kaylen is alright. Hold her tight and give her lots of kisses. I am off to kiss mine as well.

Laura said...

OMG Casey. I'm shaking just reading this. Thank god, thank god that Kaylen is okay. Huge, huge hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Casey! How terrifying! I can't even imagine. Are you OK now? That is the thing with kids though...they are so resiliant. I remember a few weeks ago when Katie stopped breathing because she was coughing so hard. She started to turn blue also. It felt like a million years before the ambulance got there!

em1__mak2 said...

Casey, I just about had a panic attack just reading this. I was little scared when my own kid hurled himself over the arm of the couch last week, landing in some odd way that made him look kind of dazed and he threw up everywhere. But never could I imagine it being what you went through.

I'm glad to hear that you had support to get you through the emergency and immediate aftermath. Kaylen will forget about this and be just fine, but make sure you have someone to talk to about it. You'll need that.

Tanya said...

How extremely terrifying. I nearly cried when reading your post and since Justus was in my arms I gave him a big hug. It's so hard knowing there are so many things that can happen to them. I'm so glad she's okay.

Sonya said...

Writing through the tears...

I just want to reach out and hug you. What an incredibly scary experience. I'm sorry help wasn't there sooner. Those seconds and minutes seem to last so long while you are in the thick of it. Way to go for calling 911 as quickly as you did and sticking with them to help your princess while you waited for the professionals to arrive. That had to have been hard. Way to go Kelton for being an awesome and helpful big brother!

Thank you Casey for sharing this story. I will certainly think twice when S is trying to climb onto the table!

We've experienced similar terror once and all it takes is for me to hear stories like yours for it to sink in deep. This type of experience is never forgotten. I can still clearly see in my mind everything that happened in those short minutes after E fell out of the cart onto the concrete floor.

For anyone reading this... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep your child sitting in the shopping cart at all times. Our kids were generally great about follow this rule, but all it took was one second of not following it to send us into terrifying and scary moments.

ReneƩ (aka Mama Hawk) said...

Casey, I cannot even imagine.... Your blog post is so visceral. I have a reoccuring nightmare about Jeremy hurting his head and your experience reminds me that but for grace or chance it could become true. I am SO SO SO SO glad Kaylen is as resilient as she is. My love to all of you.

ReneƩ

Daria Schaffnit said...

Oh, Casey, how absolutely terrifying!!! I am so glad that Kaylen is okay. I can't even imagine the fear and horror you went through!

Anonymous said...

How scary! I'm so sorry you had to experience something so terrifying. So glad to hear that Kaylen is okay. Huge hugs

Jen said...

Casey, I am crying too. That is terrifying. I can only imagine what went through your mind.

Caroline said...

Oh my Gosh..I am so sorry you and Kaylen had to go through that today. I am just glad she is doing ok...I can't imagine what you were thinking when you were running to call 911. Again, I am so glad she (and you) are doing ok

Anonymous said...

e tears streaming down my face. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad Kaylen is o.k. (((((HUGS))))

Amy said...

Casey, how terrifying! I'm so glad she's ok!!!

Robyn said...

oh good god Casey! how very scary for you! i'm so glad that Kaylen is just fine! yikeseroni!

pack of 2 said...

omg that is terrible! I can't imagine the terror you were feeling. My eyes got all watered up just readu=ing that.

I am so glad she is OK.

Shelly

Anonymous said...

(((Casey))) that is so scary!

I'm glad sweet K is alright.

Take care hon...

~J

Froggymama said...

What a frightening experience. Sounds like you handled it like a pro.