Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sucky Summer Parent

For the first year since Kelton was three, I have sucked at having the kids work in their summer "school books". I bought the books. I started out strong. But then. Oh but then. *sigh* "I don't want to do it now. Can I do it later today?" turned quickly into "tomorrow" and then.......I just let it slide. I was busy searching for jobs and trying to keep my head above water. My worries, stress and anxiety consumed me and I opted to just let the kids do as they pleased - which I can justify 7 ways to Sunday. They are kids, after all. This will be the last summer they are home with me just being kids. Next summer will be a whole new game for us.

So if the kids fall behind this year in school it will all be on me. My fault. Because as a summer parent, I sucked this year. Apparently I couldn't have them do 15 minutes of school work on a daily basis. Apparently that was just too much for me.

Such is life these days.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh Casey, don't be so hard on your self. You're such a good mom and you have so much on your plate right now, you are not a sucky summer parent! It's all fine :-)

Tanya said...

You are too hard on yourself. You are not a sucky parent and they will not fall behind. I never did school work in the summer. Relax, let them play and enjoy them. I know I would.

One Boys Mom said...

same guilt. Every. Summer :(

Stacey said...

Most kids don't do work over the summer and pick up where they left off just fine. You don't suck. School work does not a good parent make. You had fun this summer and gave them other learning opportunities.

Gandksmom said...

I will fight you for the mommy guilt of the year award. I put my kid in summer program and came home and slept. Now she's going to be home for 3 weeks and I have to think of stuff for us to do!