Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Life Long Memories

As a parent I find sometimes that I hope and pray that special things I do with the kids will become part of who they are; memories they will carry with them their entire lives. I know that I have things from my childhood that I can recall as vividly as the day they happened. That certain scents will transport me back in time. The rush of a river will bring back a flood of memories of camping as a child.

Monday was one of those days that I sincerely hope will be everlasting memories for my kids. Marlene and I took the three kids to Wildlife Safari which is about 4 hours south of here. My two and I had never before been and I don't know exactly what I was thinking it would be like but WOW! Truly amazing and fun.

The animals roam free in their specific "tracks" while the humans are "caged" in their vehicles. We had an ostrich pecking at out window, we were held up by buffalo taking their own sweet time crossing the road, we saw bears up close and personal - it was truly an amazing way to experience a zoo-like experience that was nothing like the zoo.
























It was unbelievably hot and this poor guy thought so too. If you can, click on the photo to see how tongue hanging out as he panted as hard as I've ever seen an animal pant. Poor baby!





And the moment I hope they will never forget? It's this one: riding a camel! Oh the giggles and laughter that could be heard. It was a moment that I know *I* will never forget and I really, really hope they never do either.



1 comment:

Jujy said...

I have many of those wonderful memories of vacations taken with my parents.

Those memories have become particularly strong and poignant for me since I lost my Dad 10 years ago and have placed my Mother in a nursing home.

Summer always brings them up for me, like you, the sounds and the smells.

While I have no children I do want to share many of those memories with my partner of almost 9 years.