Tuesday, August 03, 2010

It's Official

Well I was on the phone for over two hours but I have the kids qualified for food stamps. I feel such a mix of emotions; relief, disbelief....you name it and I'm probably feeling it.

Never ever did I see this happening.

A hand up, not a hand out. That's what people say and yet....it doesn't feel all that great. Not what I had ever pictured when we had the "let's have kids" conversation but life is what it is and there is no use wondering about "what ifs".

I'm hoping, and so is dakota, that by getting the safety nets in place it will bring about job offers. Like insurance. We can dream, right?

8 comments:

Audra said...

Definitely a hand up! It's something that I have considered looking into because there are many times we have to choose between paying a bill and surviving on pasta or buying groceries. Keep thinking positive, I know it's hard and it's advice that even I need to follow.

Zach said...

Food stamps are great! Brava to you for battling through the bureaucracy to get them. Access to food is an entitlement, not a handout. We all deserve to eat!

Dakota said...

It is hard. Neither of us ever imagined this. We have lots of folks in our lives helping us through all of this and it will get better. For now, we do what we must. Thanks for braving this, Case.

Rainbow Momma said...

Surely the kids qualify for medicaid - or the children's state insurance, no?

One Boys Mom said...

Been there and was thankful for it, remember it's not forever just part of this transition in life. All will be good with time.

Jen said...

You know we've been there. It is hard to accept help, but I learned a lot from the experience about how to give to people, and about how to let other people be kind. You hang in there! The offers will come!

Lynilu said...

You might be surprised how many of us have gone through similar straights. It's not easy, and it's not fun. But it is a hand up. Hang in there.

Froggymama said...

I've been there. And I never thought I would have to either. It's humbling, but necessary. xoxo