Monday, August 30, 2010

Last Summer Night

Tonight marks the last summer night of the year. Tomorrow night will be open house at the school and then home to bed to get up for the first day of school.

Tomorrow is the last morning that Kaylen and I can lounge in my bed while we drink coffee(me) and hot chocolate (her). The last morning the three of us can just snuggle together and talk about everything and anything. Wednesday morning I will wake to the alarm, wake the children (who, ironically, now sleep in until 7:30 or so) and hit the ground running to get us all fed, dressed and ready for the first day. I will need to get the traditional first day of school pictures and then, oh and then, I will put my two babies on the school bus. I will then get into my car and meet the bus at the school to walk the kids to their rooms. Dakota will be joining us as well.

How on earth have we gotten to the point where they are both old enough to be in school? All day? Wasn't it just last year I sent Kelton off to kindergarten?

They are both very excited so I am excited for them...on the outside. On the inside I want to hold them back forever - keep them little, just as they are. As fast as every other year has gone, this one is sure to go even faster. I won't get every weekend with them...or every night. My time with them will be limited and I fear losing touch with them.

But - ready or not....here we go.

Good-bye summer.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

So your school has all day kindergarden? wow....will be thinking of you....I think the youngest is the hardest......the first one you can't wait for them to grow up and the youngest....well they are your baby! keep your chin up......

Tanya said...

You're lucky they are both excited. Everyday I have to drag J to school and it rips my heart out.