Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Sleep Interrupted

I had a nightmare last night. One with intensity I haven't had in a long, long time. And I couldn't wake up to get out of it. It was awful and terrifying and, in it, I couldn't save my children.

I finally woke just enough to not know if it was really happening or not. Then, thankfully, I woke more. My heart was pounding and I was sweaty. It was 2:11am. I laid here for a bit trying to shake it. It was just a dream, yada yada yada.

I couldn't shake it. I was scared to go back to sleep because I didn't want to slip right back into it.

At 2:20 I was still struggling with calming down. I text'd Marlene to see if she was near her phone. Ten minutes went by. I sent another text to let her know I would be fine and that I was going to watch TV for a bit.

Right after that, she text'd back. I ended up calling just to touch base and to hear a calming voice (because I was anything but calm). We talked for a few minutes and then, when I felt better, we said goodnight.

It took me an hour to fall back to sleep. This morning, the nightmare still haunts me but at least my kids are safe and right beside me.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I hate dreams like that. Luckily I haven't had one in a long time. Hope you shake the feeling.