Monday, July 26, 2010

The Sweet Sound of Silence

The kids are sleeping peacefully and I am alone with my thoughts. I wish I was alone with a big container of ice cream but I guess my thoughts will have to do. :)

It's a spectacular summer night and where I would like to be is sitting on the patio enjoying the warmth but instead, I'm in my room looking out the sliding glass door. The mosquitoes drive me early in the evening. They are thick and blood thirsty unlike any year I can remember. They are out All. Day. Long. I no longer even count the number of bites the kids and I have. I wish they would go away now. I know we, as a society are becoming anti-chemical but mosquito killer is one I would gladly spray in my yard. The house next to us is empty and for sale (service redeployment) and while the neighbors are keeping the front yard in check, the back yard has become a jungle which I'm sure doesn't help keep the bug population down. *sigh*

I remember not too many years ago when I could hang out in the yard with a book in the evening hours. I miss those days.

Time to turn on mindless TV and climb under the covers. My favorite part of the day...a silent house, peacefully sleeping children and time all to myself. A little slice of heaven.

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

Hey, Casey, try those clip-on mosquito repellents for the kiddos. I don't have much problem with mosquitoes personally, they just don't like me, I guess, but if I do, I'm trying one of those, myself.

sally said...

Hi Casey, I just read in the morning paper that if you immediately clean a mosquito bite with anti-bacterial hand cleaner it takes away the sting. I am going to try this.