Thursday, July 15, 2010

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

I spent some time working in the garage this morning. It wasn't planned and while it was something that needed to happen, I wasn't prepared to have it happen today but, as things often do, one thing lead to another.

I was running around cleaning things up and putting things away when something took me out to the garage. The kids have been hanging out there lately digging through stuff finding things to sell at a garage sale which is fine and dandy but made a disaster zone much, much worse.

It's no secret that the garage is a mess. It seriously gives me anxiety. There is so much stuff out there: boxes and bins of clothes for the kids to grow into, bags of clothes they have grown out of that are either waiting to go to a smaller relative or waiting to be sold at a garage sale, toys that are too big to live in the house full time (doll houses...three of them...bins of other toys and doll stuff and games), their bikes, paint cans, camping stuff, law books and bar review material, etc. The list goes on and on and on.

It doesn't take long for the neatly stacked bins and toys to spread out across the garage and it had gotten really bad out there. This morning, when I went out there, I tripped over something and dang near bit it but good. That was it! I started picking things up and organizing things. It took 90 plus minutes but it is manageable out there again. At least, I can walk out there without fear of killing myself. Always a good thing, you know?

Once there was some sort of order given to the garage, I came back inside and changed my sweaty shirt (it's hot in the garage!), washed my face and applied acne medication to combat my issue with sweat induced acne and began the never-ending job search. I found an applied for several positions while also helping the kids work on an art project. Multi-tasking at its best! :) Then it was time to feed the kids...which is what I just finished doing.

I'm also stressing out over the washing machine. Last night when I went in to switch a load, I discovered a small bit of water on the floor. Not enough to say "Crud! The washer is leaking!" but enough to make me a bit wary of starting another load. *sigh* I guess I'll know soon enough but really? This is a stress I could definitely do without. I am already playing games in my head about how to deal with a repair bill. Buying a new unit is out of the question - even from Craigslist - because it needs to be full size stackable units to fit into the space it needs to fit into.

I swear - I'm ready for live to come together and things to get easy (well...easier...since I know life is never easy). And on that note, I have a wasp in the house to figure out how to safely remove without getting myself stung.

Easier. I am more than ready for easier.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Maybe the washer isn't really leaking and something was just in the door too far. I once had a puddle of water on the floor from our front loader when a piece of clothing was jammed in the seal of the door a bit too far.

Sara S. said...

All along I thought this was going to be about finding a mouse in the garage!